Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petmomof4 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
    Breaking dogs of doing business in a particular spot
    My 2 dogs have developed a habit of doing their business in my kitchen. It began as an acting out, though for what reason I still haven't figured out. But it has become such a habit that even though they do know better, they do it anyway, just because. I've tried blocking it off but they just climb over whatever is there, even if it means tipping over furniture. I've doused the whole floor in "bitter barrier", vinegar, baby powder, cleaned it with bleach, ammonia, dish soap and "OUT!" I even tried an electric shock system designed to keep them out of specific areas but they just got as close as they could and did it there. They do it when I'm at home and I can't can't crate them 24/7. How do I break the habit of going in that spot?

Apr 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
    I should add that I've done my damnedest to retrain them and to resolve whatever issue is/was causing them to act out. Its not that they don't know better and they also do it when they kind of have to go but just don't really feel like going out. Its like they just can't help themselves.
    chillgal Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 12:17 AM
    Can you gate them in the kitchen? If it becomes their area they'd be less likely to do their business in that room and it shouldn't move the behavior to another room.
    chillgal Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2012, 12:25 AM
    Not sure what types of restraining you've done with them but I also recommend that you ignore them when they do their business in the kitchen until you have it all the cleaned up - do not say a word to them or yourself because that's a reward to them. You should pair that with lots of praise when they do their business outside. Hope this advise helps you.

Apr 27, 2012, 08:08 PM
    That's what I do every time. I could try to block them in there but I doubt it would be any more successful than trying to block them out. Since its an apartment, the kitchen isn't closed off in any way and the hard floors make it easy for furniture to slide so there's nothing to prop up a baby gate. I blocked it off with chairs and the sofa and they toppled the furniture climbing over it. I've tried putting their beds there but they just went on their beds. Apparently they're VERY stubborn and determined.

Apr 27, 2012, 08:10 PM
    And why in the world does this site think suspicious spots on men's genitalia are similar questions??
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by petmomof4 View Post
    And why in the world does this site think suspicious spots on men's genitalia are similar questions???
    Those are on a different board, not the Dogs board. This site accepts questions on many, many different topics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've got a yellow spot like a normal acne spot on my penis. [ 21 Answers ]

I've got like a 1/2cm spot with a yellow/white head on it on my penis about halfway up. Its like a normal acne spot on a face but I have no idea what it is?. I've squeezed it, thinking it was a normal spot and whitish pus has come out (exactly like a normal spot on your face when you squeeze it)......

Fordyce's spot (White Spot on penis) [ 15 Answers ]

I have quite a lot of small white lumps on my penis and scrotum, after doing research and looking at pictures I think these might be Fordyce's spots, but I have found one spot which looks similar to the rest but maybe the littlest bit bigger and has a yellowish head, is it possible for the penis to...

Purple cloudy spot on dogs left eye. [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 yr old rottweiler has a purple cloudy spot in the corner of his left eye. What is it?

Business breaking lease agreement in Washington [ 1 Answers ]

In June, 2009, my condo assoc. leased space in the building (not a residential unit) to a small business. The business owner requested a two year lease, which we provided. In October, the business owner verbally notified one member of the condo assoc. that she intended to vacate. We made many...

Itchy spot on dogs back [ 6 Answers ]

I was brushing my dog yesterday and I noticed as soon as I hit the spot about six inches above her tail on her back she went nuts! She started kicking her legs like crazy. I kept brushing her assuming the itch would go away but it didn't. She doesn't at any point seem in pain but she just seems...

View more questions Search