Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Topside Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 01:00 PM
    I'm losing interest in my relationship?
    I've been dating my now fiancé for a total of close to three years, over a year and a half "official" bf/gf. She has custody of her 5 year old nephew. When I met her, he was 2 going on 3. He is now 5. We moved in together in July of this year. The relationship has been great, but I'm really not feeling "the kid" now. I find myself having to discipline him most of the time I'm around him. I don't want to sound like a selfish tyrant, but the kid is really starting to get annoying. Niether of us have biological kids, but he is basically hers, and we don't see that changing (both parents in drug rehab). She wants to get married next year, but talks about planning has slowed to a crawl. When we first dated, she had multiple reasources and babysitters, and we had lots of 1 on 1 time. We have little of that now. I'm having lots of doubts, and I'm considering leaving. Any thoughts?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Welcome to real life and what married life is like if you have your own kids. She is a package deal and why are you not arranging baby sitters if you want some private time.

But with a 5 year old in the house, yes, it is a lot about "them" and will be that way.

I really feel sorry for the child, since you committed to both of them, when you moved in,
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 02:23 PM
    I have to agree with Fr. Chuck, You want private time, YOU pay for a sitter, why should she when that's what YOU want? Basically if you intend to being a father figure, discipline comes with the territory. So do the difficulties, and uncertainty that any kids, even your own, represents. That's what dads do. I think the problem comes with this NOT being YOUR biological child, and you may not see the value of adoption as your own child, morally, if not legally.

Maybe all you really need is to NOT be discouraged, and maybe need more time to adjust to the situation you have only been in for 5 short months. LOL, none of us is an instant success at parenting, and the stress, and frustration can be overwhelming for the best of us.

They are a package deal, and you don't get to accept one without the other. BUT, at least you recognize you may NOT be ready, or prepared for a life long commitment, so maybe talking to some older guys like (ME&CHUCK), about the many questions you may have is a wise thing.

So besides being jealous of the personal attention you are not getting, what else is on your mind? How old are you both, and do you both work??
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2011, 08:39 PM
    You guys have to communicate about this. Sounds like you haven't much.

You got yourself involved. Baby daddy. You knew the deal. Right?

What is it you want? Exactly. Tell her.

If you aren't into being a dad for her kid, well, maybe this isn't right.

If this relationship is what you really want, then buck up & talk.

That's what comes with it.

Sounds like its more then the kid to me. Its you realizing what you got into.
    And why.

Why did you?

Sometimes we have to put stupid stuff aside & take a look what's good.

If this isn't for you, then be honest with her, the kid & yourself.

If it is, then rock it.

You & her first, kid second.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Job - Losing House - Losing Relationship! [ 5 Answers ]

My b/f & I were OK until a year ago when he lost his very lucatrive job. We've used all our savings & we've maxed our cc's to no avail. We're behind on the house we live in in which he's the only one on mtg. this house has no equity. We have another house under both our names in another state...

He's losing interest [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been going out for almost a year, everything seems fine, but lately we've been fighting a lot, he disrespects me and tells me how much he hates our relationship. Not only this, but he breaks up with me all the time, then takes me back. I don't understand really. Something...

Losing relationship of 6 years / Losing 2 Houses [ 5 Answers ]

I've been with my b/f for over 6 years. About 2 years ago I moved to another state with him to try to make things work better for us, financially & personal. He lost a very lucrative job about a year ago (the co. closed down) which paid for a house we both are on mtg & he also paid for another...

Is he losing interest? What do you think? [ 8 Answers ]

Well, First let me start by saying my boyfriend is awesome! He is great. We have known each other for over a year, and we have been together for 6 months. He always tells me he loves me and that he wants me to be his wife. We have never argued and he is really understanding, even if we don't...

View more questions Search