Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Coat Supplements
    I've been trying to find a good coat supplement for my dogs. They're shiney, but I want them shiney-er. Ive tried fish oil, and they stunk like fish.. so that's out of the question. I want to stay natural and holistic because I think its cheaper then the commercial stuff that is HUGE quanitities for 50# dogs. I was thinking flaxseed and peanut oil, but not sure. I also want to use this on my horses. They just seem to continue to shed like nuts in the dead of summer with grain feed and exercise.

Any suggestions (Bella and Shazzy :P) is greatly appreciated!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 24, 2011, 01:10 PM
    Wow, how much fish oil were you giving a 50 lb dog?
    I would suggest the egg yolks you might leave out of your omelets and fritattas, at least I leave out 1 or 2 for every 3 or 4 egg whites.
    As for oils, any fresh natural oil is good for both people and animals, in moderation. Flax is fine (I don't like the taste). Nothing wrong with a little olive, avocado, nuts of any kind.
    Shedding is good, right? When you say use ON your horses, you don't mean ON their coats?
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jul 24, 2011, 05:10 PM
    You're looking for the fatty acids involved in 'coat health'. Bacon fat, from frying bacon (duh?) is an excellent source of the essential fatty acids that dogs need. Try about a tablespoon on the food for a couple weeks and see what that does, beside stimulate eating. Heat it to liquid and pour over the food.

You do realize that there is a limit to how glossy hair will get naturally? Which is another way of saying that too much oil, supplement or not, is not necessarily increasingly good for the dog's well being?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 24, 2011, 05:58 PM

I always liked the omega capsules Lucky. I get a bottle of 150 for like $7. It's the deep sea fish with all the good omega oils. We live right off the coast of the Atlantic so deep, cold water fish are of an abundance for us. They eat cod and salmon weekly. I've never had a problem with them smelling fishy, was it the dog food you were using? I know Lady's Salmon feed stinks, like makes me gag stinks.

Other then what you have already tried all I can suggest is good fresh water and lots of brushings. You can also add add one teaspoon of olive, sunflower, safflower, canola, flaxseed oil to their food.

Eggs, like mentioned, but you know the drill there. Oh and I do the bacon grease thing too. Maybe like once a week. But be careful about the fat..
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2011, 06:41 PM

Thank you all! I might try the fish oil again. The last stuff I got was from a health food store that sold good quality supplements for dogs and they just smelled like fish. My dogs are rotten and won't eat capsules, so I tired the oil. The house just smelled like a giant, wet fish lol. So maybe it was that brand.

I realize I won't get an super shiney coat, but it just always envy other peoples dogs because they just glow! And I haven't been over doing any supplements. They actually haven't been on any in a long time, but the hair is kind of crazy in their shedding.. Mostly my pointers, not my pits. I was also debating on feeding them sardines once a week...

I'm going to avoid the bacon idea. I have two with sensitive stomaches.. and, of course, I can't feed one one thing and the other something else :P
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2011, 09:39 PM

I just purchased Omega 3, 6 & 9, it was recommended to me by a top Crested breeder.
    I am having trouble getting weight on Cyrus and his skin is looking a little dull so am hopeful about this product, has had a lot of good reviews. Just waiting on it to arrive.
    Here's link, it's to an Aussie site but you get an idea of what it is (It's good for the horses too): Natural Animal Solutions Omega 3, 6 & 9 1 Litre

ADD - I can vouch for the sardines as well, but they have to be in oil, the ones in spring water don't do as much.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 25, 2011, 04:55 AM

Sardines aren't really a deep sea fish, so while they are still good for the skin and body, they don't have those good fatty acids you are looking for. It's the oil they are resting in that is giving the gloss you look for ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best supplements [ 1 Answers ]

Which supplements or name brand is the best to use as far as their no, creatine, anabolic and any other supplements? They all have that catchy headline about science proven, but I wonder is there a difference, which is best to use or are all of them made on the same assembly line until it gets to...

Supplements for dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I give my 9 months old mix up pups cod liver oil, evening of primrose, garlic and omega 3 capsules you know those gel type ones that humans take to keep them healthy Cod liver oil - joints Evening of primrose - coat conditioner Garlic- flea prevention Omega 3 - joints and brain booster ...

What do you think about supplements [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for more then 6 months now. I know that it takes time and all that. But I was wondering if there were some safe supplements that I could be taking to increase my fertility. I already take a daily vitamin and iron supplement as well. Thanks!

Supplements [ 1 Answers ]

What are the adverse side effects of NO2 (arginine alpha ketoglutarate) ?

View more questions Search