Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Winnies Mom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 03:28 PM
    Air conditioner
    So we bought an air conditioner that also has a dehumidfier in it to. My question is we have never before (last year) attached a drain hose to the back. This year I did and it pumps out water like crazy however in the book it says to only attach drain hose when using the dehumidifier. So am I overtaxing it by draining it I have no clue but hope you do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 04:14 PM

Where was the water going that normally condensed on the cold side before? All air conditioners also dehumidify the air in the cooling process, and they all have water coming out in all but the driest climates. A dehumidifier just dumps the hot air in the same place as the cooler air. The air conditioner dumps it outside.

Jul 19, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    It is a floor model it has a drain plug I have no idea where the water went last year lol. It says in the instruction book there is a drain pan underneath but we have never had to drain it before. However the carpet was wet this year so I took the filters out to clean them and there was a brown paste type stuff and water so I assumed it neede to drain . So now I am confused
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2011, 04:42 PM

Yeah... it should have been drained before... that's mold and mildew from the water that collected before (it grew in the stagnant water). You must live in a real dry climate, you would have had a pool of water under it when it overflowed in most areas.

Jul 19, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Nope very humid here now 40 to 90 % so do I leave the plug in or let it drain all the time Im running it in air conditioner mode
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 19, 2011, 05:20 PM
    Drain it, or you will be inhaling mold as smoothy suggests. And take the bottom pan out and clean it.

Even window ACs get moldy in water in the tiny raised edge around the bottom. That's why they can get smelly so quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner/furnace combo in mobile home is blowing cold air [ 8 Answers ]

This is an all electric mobile home that has an outside air conditioner with heating system. It is blowing cold air when the heat is turned on at the thermoniter.

Air conditioner not blowing cold air, inside fan runs, but outside unit does not. [ 2 Answers ]

Unit not blowing cold air. Fan runs. Outside unit does not.

Air Conditioner won't get cold, yet water leaks from air conditioner [ 4 Answers ]

Air conditioner is turned on, but it will not cool. Water leaks

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

View more questions Search