Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chai63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Time allowed after written notice
    I just received a written notice for eviction, because I am behind in my rent, I am soon to be 64 years old and have not been able to find a job. I was planning on moving as soon as the weather would permit and had discussed this with my landlord. His wife posted this notice on my back door today, the 12th and it states that I have until the 27th to pay my rent and late charges or be evicted. I was trying to move by the last week in February, do I have time or will I have to go to court? My income is just ssi.
    rbilow Posts: 44, Reputation: 6

Jan 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
    It all depends on the regulations in your state. They are different from state to state. Here the landlord is required to give you the papers in writing and if they take some or all of the rent at that time then it voids the order.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 06:36 AM

If you are not moved by the 27th, the landlord can then file for eviction against you in court. It appears they have given you more than normal time, since normally they would only have given a few days for non payment before they filed.

But if they file after the 27th, most likely within a week they could be in court, and the court would give you normallyless than a week.

So they can have you set out in the street before the end of Feb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can we be evicted without written notice? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. We've been renting this house for almost 3 years. We've only had a lease for the first year, after that it's just been month to month. Well our landlord decided to put the house up for sale 7 months ago and I guess she didn't get what she wanted because she told us that she...

3 day notice Florida with no written lease [ 1 Answers ]

I need to send a 3 day letter to pay or quit due to non-payment. I do not have a written lease. I printed a letter off the internet. It looks good. On the tail end of the last sentence it says "as specified in your rental agreement or lease". Do I need to modify or delete the phrase? Also, if...

More than 30-day notice allowed in CA? [ 2 Answers ]

It is about a month before the end of my lease, and I turned in my 30-day notice. Now my Building Manager says they require 60-day notice, which I never remember seeing in the lease, or hearing about before. Can they do this?

30 written notice by tenant to landlord [ 2 Answers ]

On Oct 24, 2007, I gave a 30 day notice via email to my landlady. I also called her and left a message on her cell phone. On Oct 25, 2007, I sent a certified letter about the 30 day notice and sent her a check for Nov 1-23, 2007. She called to say that she got the mail on Oct 26 and wants me to...

View more questions Search