Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Nov 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
    Christians and Magic
    Just wondering if Christians can watch hand-trick/magic show for entertainment.

The reason I am asking this questions is because there are so many things around us for which we do not find direct answers in the Bible. Yet we label certain music, certain games, certain behaviour, certain symbols as not Godly. The other day I heard on a radio program someone called in and said it is sin to be on Facebook. Some say it is sin to go for movies and so on.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 9, 2010, 09:23 AM
    It really depends on the depth of your convictions.
    Everything in life can be considered a sin if you take things to extremes.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2010, 09:28 AM

I see nothing wrong with a good sleight-of-hand show. Penn & Teller are coming to my town next month and I'm frantically trying to find a way to afford tickets. Something that actually claims to be "magic," i.e. sorcery or witchcraft or something like that, involving invocation of spirits or whatever, that's a different story. But what you're describing is harmless.

Somebody is going to find something wrong, or sinful, or ungodly, or fattening, about anything. The best thing to do is ignore them and draw your own conclusions. If it's an activity that you don't have a problem with, go for it.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2010, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    Just wondering if Christians can watch hand-trick/magic show for entertainment.

The reason I am asking this questions is because there are so many things around us for which we do not find direct answers in the Bible. Yet we label certain music, certain games, certain behaviour, certain symbols as not Godly. The other day I heard on a radio program someone called in and said it is sin to be on Facebook. Some say it is sin to go for movies and so on.
    Triund, "hand-trick/magic" is just slight of hand and illusion.

It's just entertainment.

Christians are in no way discouraged from this sort of thing.

There is nothing wrong with being involved with Facebook as long as you behave as you know you should.

There is nothing wrong with "movies" in general... but you have to pick carefully what you watch.

Keep the old kid's song in mind:

Be careful little eyes what you see...
    Be careful little ears what you hear...
    Be careful little mouth what you say...
    Be careful little hands, what you touch...
    Be careful little feet, where you go...

Those simple lines of a kid's song are ones that will serve you well - to His glory.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 06:30 PM

Entertainment is just that, it is not "magic" A Christian is to stay away from magic,

Nov 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Entertainment is just that, it is not "magic" A Christian is to stay away from magic,
    "A Christian is to stay away from magic". Sorry I did not get it. About magic.. do you include in it magicians, astrologers, psychics, hypnotics to whom people go to know their future or seek an answer to a question? If it is this then I am aware of it as is written in Deutronomy 18:9-14.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2010, 02:39 PM

Truind,

I think we can find an answer to everything in the Bible. Certainly the Bible doesn't directly mention Facebook OR the internet for that matter but ANY thing can be abused and misued and a sin. It is what we do with it. And what place it has in our lives.

Under the Law it was certainly forbidden to mess around with the occult. The bible mentions several stories in the OT to stay away from it. And I cannot FATHOM why a Christian would want to mess with Satan and witchcraft.

As far as , card tricks, illusions stuff like that... I believe it is just entertainment. As long as it is in balance in your life ( as with ANYTHING), it isn't wrong. My 12 year old LOVEs going to the magic store and buying tricks and learning them. In fact, we had a "magician" come to our VBS program and do some really fun stuff and he gave the gospel to the kids while he did it. All the while he explained he had NO power... just illusions. :)

Nov 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Truind,

I think we can find an answer to everything in the Bible. Certainly the Bible doesn't directly mention facebook OR the internet for that matter but ANY thing can be abused and misued and a sin. It is what we do with it. And what place it has in our lives.

Under the Law it was certainly forbidden to mess around with the occult. The bible mentions several stories in the OT to stay away from it. And I cannot FATHOM why a Christian would want to mess with Satan and witchcraft.

As far as , card tricks, illusions stuff like that...i believe it is just entertainment. As long as it is in balance in your life ( as with ANYTHING), it isn't wrong. My 12 year old LOVEs going to the magic store and buying tricks and learning them. In fact, we had a "magician" come to our VBS program and do some really fun stuff and he gave the gospel to the kids while he did it. All the while he explained he had NO power....just illusions. :)
    Very interesting response. Thank you. I am glad to see that "magician" was honest in saying he had NO power. Wonderful.
    Recently, I have come to realize after watching Youtube videos that there are only two types of spirits. Holy Spirit and demonic spirits. People who had lived in the dark world, tell us what they had been doing before coming to Jesus. If one is not filled with Holy Spirit, then the person is under demonic spirit. Things people do which are not possible for an ordinary person to do, are all done by dark forces. Going to psychics, magicians and others to get something done is diabolic. Humans are always anxious to know what would happen the next moment. However this anxiety is contrary to what the Lord has told us to do. And God is not happy when people abandon trust on HIM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All Screwed UP!: Serious Christians Only! [ 183 Answers ]

If you are not a serious Christian please do not answer this question. If this turns into a religious debate it does not help me with my problem so please don't corrupt this thread. I was raised in a Christian home and gave my heart to the Lord at a young age. I was raised knowing the dos...

True Christians & False Christians [ 35 Answers ]

Hi evereyone, When searching for true Christian followers of Jesus, how can we tell them apart from those who claim to follow Christ? Thank you, Hope12

Christians and Blood [ 28 Answers ]

Is there a prohibition against Christians eating blood?

View more questions Search