Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theresa101 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Trimming Crêpe Myrtles
    I know typically Crêpe Myrtles are trimmed back in Feb/March but it is very hard at that time for me to tell what exactly needs trimming. It is late enough in the season and enough growth has taken place that I can see off shoot branches that I would like to trim to obtain the shape I want for the tree (right now they are just kind of crazy) It is very hot in my region now and no signs of that changing. Would I harm my trees to trim at this time or should I wait until end of summer of just leave them be and allow them to grow au natural?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
    You need to wait until the fall or spring to trim crêpe myrtles, when the sap is lower in the trunk of the tree to avoid damage to the shape of the tree.
    theresa101 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2010, 06:14 PM

That was quick, Thanks, so I guess I will just have crazy Crêpe Myrtles for a while longer. I certainly don't want to jeopardize them.
    catladyinflorida Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 12:28 PM
    I just trimmed my Crêpe Myrtle. After the first flush of flowers in the season, if you cut off the seed pods, it will flower again. When I do that, I cut any stray shoots that are coming out that are unwanted. It's best to continually clip any small shoots that pop out, throughout the year. My tree is very large and established, so any trimming I do is minimal. If you are talking about taking off significant amounts of your tree, I'd say to wait until Autumn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crape Myrtles [ 1 Answers ]

When your Crape Myrtle gets too big for where it's planted... Can you transplant it? And if you can, When is the best time?

Crêpe Myrtles [ 2 Answers ]

When is the best time to dig up these for replanting? These plants are off spring from my larger plants. I live in South Carolina.

Am I killing my crêpe myrtle? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has spent the last 3 weekends building a retaining wall type of flower bed on our sloping lot and backfilled with clean topfill. We have a very large crêpe myrtle approximately 20 years old that was at the end of the flowerbed which now has approximately 6 -8 inches more dirt around...

Crêpe sole shoes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to clean crêpe sole shoes and boots before storing for the summer. I have had them become sticky and had to discard the boots. Thanks

View more questions Search