Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 08:53 AM
    New Car > Should I Do the Rust Prevention Treatment?
    I recently purchased a new car. It is white. I am planning to keep it for 20 ;) years! It will basically be driven only in the city (shopping, appts.), and not for trips on the highway etc.
    I had to put my last car to sleep because the undercarriage was rusted away, and the doors, and around the wheel wells and rocker panels. (the end was when the back end of my car fell down, while at a red light!:eek:) It was a 1993 Eagle Summit wagon, which was very well maintained, but, I made a great mistake > I NEVER had the yearly rust prevention treatments! I know that if I would have, the car would definitely still be around. It was in perfect mechanical order - 16 years old ;) with approx. 45,000 km. only!.....anyways ...would have, could have, should have!

I live in Canada in a city where alot of salt is used on the roads. I am feeling perplexed :confused: on the decision that I must make > on having the rust treatment applied to my wonderful new car, or not to ? ... because many people have instructed me NOT to! I am feeling so confused :confused: as to what I should do >> ? I am hearing negative horror stories - descriptions of how they drill holes in the doors (thereby causing :eek: those holes to cause rust, etc.etc.) plus, many saying that the way cars are made today is very different than before and it is not necessary to do those yearly rust prevention treatments, etc. etc.

I would greatly appreciate your opinions, advice, suggestions please. Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2010, 09:07 AM

I bought a car in 2003 (Dodge Neon) and have never had any rust prevention treatment done. My husband (and Consumer Reports magazine) explained that cars are made primarily of aluminum now, not steel, and do not rust like they used to. Plus, the magazine added that cars are treated for corrosion while still at the factory.

P.S. My car is driven on Chicago suburban streets which are heavily salted during the winter.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 10:13 AM

From cars.com
    One opinion:
    "Rustproofing and paint protection: All new cars are built with rust-resistant galvanized steel (or aluminum or fiberglass) and treated with a rustproofing agent at the factory. Experts say dealer-applied rustproofing is unnecessary, at best. Paint "sealant" is a similar story: factory paint is sealed and durable and can be protected effectively with a coat of wax you apply yourself."

CR most likely has an opinion too, if you can access them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Car Rust proofing spray do you recommend? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a new 2008 Toyota Camery. I live in Canada where we have lots of snow and we use a lot of salt. I have been using a an oil spry for rust preventions from a company called Krown Rust protectins. It seem to work well BUT it drips for month and is very messy. What do you recommend. ...

Rust on car [ 1 Answers ]

Have rust problem on back floor at door sill. What is the best product to use? Saturn '98 SW

Should I buy a wire brush for Car Rust work? [ 2 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should get a wire brush to remove the rust on my car to get it ready for rust stop, body filler etc... any of your opinions would be appreciated, as usual?! THANKS.:confused:

Help! Car Rust... Any Advice? [ 8 Answers ]

My \'93 Eagle Summit wagon, only 56,000 km.Have had a few repairs on it. In great shape except for rust in the area above the tires,is this called wheel wells?also near the bottom of the door area. Pieces now starting to break off.(I should not have let it get to this point of rust and taken care...

Help Please! Seeking Advice For Repairing Rust On My Car Please. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Eagle Summit Eagon (mini van) only 55,000 km. Unfortunately, I should have repaired the rust when it began, but I didn't. I am so embaressed driving around like this. There is rust around the area of each wheel (is it called the wheel well?) approximately 4inches of rust at the...

View more questions Search