Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trudger67 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
    [QUOTE=Altenweg;2243064]You are right when you say that one way doesn't work for everyone. That's why getting a therapist you can work with is the best step...

Cheers:)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You HAVE forgiven her because you have moved on. Forgiveness doesn't mean you stand in front of the offender and say, "It's okay now. It doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned, it didn't happen. Let's be friends now." NOT AT ALL! You've moved away from your role as victim and released the control and power the abuser had in your life. You let go of grudges and no longer define your life by how you were hurt. You've moved on. That's forgiveness.
    True, and that's what worked for me. I do agree that there are different solutions for different people though.

I will never stand in front of my abuser and say the words "I forgive you". That's not something I can do. It's not even something I want to do. To tell the truth, I don't forgive her, I forgive myself.

What do I forgive myself for? For letting her have the power to she took away from me. For letting her make me think it was my fault. For making me afraid to tell my family who I know would have supported me, would have believed me, would have fought to the death for me.

She no longer has power over me. I have the power now, to be who I am, to accept who I was and the things that happened to me. I have the power to accept the 5 year old she took. I am whole, she isn't. I'm okay with that.

Now, ask me how I would feel if someone did this to one of my kids? I'd be murderous. No punishment would be too extreme. Nothing I could do to them would be harsh enough. Forgiveness? No. It would be death and that's not a threat, it's a promise.
    trudger67 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Feb 22, 2010, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You HAVE forgiven her because you have moved on. Forgiveness doesn't mean you stand in front of the offender and say, "It's okay now. It doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned, it didn't happen. Let's be friends now." NOT AT ALL! You've moved away from your role as victim and released the control and power the abuser had in your life. You let go of grudges and no longer define your life by how you were hurt. You've moved on. That's forgiveness.
    My goodness... who said anything about saying it's OK, that it doesn't matter, it didn't happen and let's be friends! That's got nothing to do with what I have said, you have missed the boat love.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trudger67 View Post
    My goodness... who said anything about saying it's ok, that it doesn't matter, it didn't happen and let's be friends!! That's got nothing to do with what I have said, you have missed the boat love.
    I did not say you said that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My furnace fault code light flashes three times the pause and flashes three times aga [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace fault code light flashes three times the pause and flashes three times again and repeats. What is wrong?

Kenmore dishwasher 665.13592 pots light flashes and no other functions work... [ 1 Answers ]

Dishwasher started working intermittently and now only pots light flashes... drain/cancel button just flashes when pushed. Was working fine. Is there a code to reset this machine before I spend the money to have sear service come out?

When we started the furnace this year, it started, turned it off now it won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

It was working great, we turned the furnace in the off position on the wall, and now it won't start! I've reset the breakers over and over, even waited an hour, thinking time was of the essence... still won't come on. Old units: Luxaire inside unit Model ECC030GKA, Kenmore outside unit Model...

Molested [ 16 Answers ]

I was molested when I was 8. Like he touched me sexualy but when I told my friend he had said ohh I guess that's not a big deal... and I was flipping out cause I'm 16 now ans I still have nightmares but it only happened once and the guy isn't in jail. He told My parents what he did and then I just...

Kenmore Elite Washer Calypso flashes several error codes and won't work [ 3 Answers ]

Kenmore Elite Washer with Calypso. We have one that is about 4 or 5 years old, we are the second owners of this home and washer was here. Yesterday it stopped mid cycle, and the clothes were soaked, so I cleared code which I did not notice and started it again, same thing happened with-in a...

View more questions Search