Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Orla99 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 08:53 AM
    Dog gets so excited going to PARK - cries all the way in the car.
    Can anyone help with this one... our jack russell gets two walks a day. Leaving from the house and going on foot is great - no probs!. But if we decide to take her to the park (via the car)... its like she can't wait to get there that she cries / whines and shivers and shakes the whole way.

How can we stop this? Its very distracting when driving
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 09:07 AM

Does she always act the same way if you take her anywhere else in the car? Do you always take the same route?

Feb 15, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Does she always act the same way if you take her anywhere else in the car? Do you always take the same route?

We went away and brought her with us on a 2 hour journey, not a peep out of her.

She knows the journey to the park - and she knows the attire I put on when we're walking - walking boots, ball and thrower, scooper... Before we went on the last walk, I hid all these before we went, but once she seen the journey - same behaviour!.
    Marriage Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 09:13 AM

Can you take a different route?

Feb 15, 2010, 09:16 AM

There are three entrances into this large park, she knows them all.
    As I said to my husband, we may have to just scrap the car journey and do walks around where we live!. which isn't as exciting as the park, but much easier on your sanity!! Hehe... She's such a dote of a dog... LOVES her ball and LOVES the park...
    Marriage Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 09:53 AM

Can you make one of her walks to the park and the other around the neighborhood?

One solution to the car trip might be to try to train her to be quiet. Start driving to the park and when she starts getting noisy, turn around or pull over. She quiets down, you continue toward the park. I don't know if that would help or not.

Good luck with what sounds like a very smart little girl. :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 11:17 AM

My oldest Am Staff was this way when ever he would get in the car, turned out he gets car sick!
    You could try doing some relation protocols before you guys go in the car.
    Protocol for relaxation
    Is there any other way you guys could distract her while driving? Is there 2 of you that go or just you by yourself?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2010, 06:24 PM

One of mine does the same thing.
    As soon as he sees me put my shoes on or hears a rattle of the keys he starts getting excited. He is OK for the first few minutes in the car, then as we get closer to the park he starts crying.

I would suggest getting him used to being in the car, but not going to the park.
    Usually this method is used for dogs who are scared of the car, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for your dog.

Park your car somewhere the dog has access to it (backyard or fenced off driveway) and just sit in it.
    Let the dog enter the car and sit on the back seat if he wished.

If he gets in the car and cries, give him a stern "NO" or "QUIET" ans get out of the car.

Once he is fine sitting quietly in the car, try just reversing down your driveway.
    If he is quiet on that very short trip give him praise... if he cries, say "quiet" get out the car and then ignore him until later.

Once he's fine with the driveway trip, just drive up the street and back.
    Again, good behavior gets praise, bad behavior gets a 'no' and ignore.

Make the trips longer and longer each time, until you reach your destination.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Feb 15, 2010, 06:46 PM

MY Nikki does the same thing, only she does it regardless of where we are going. If I take her with me, it usually means a visit with friends who have dogs, the dog park, my brothers house or the pet store. All of which she loves! She is a very nervous dog, so even her excitement if filled with nervous energy. I constantly felt like we were going to crash because she was so excited, nervous and she knows how to open the front window (which does not have a child lock).
    About eighteen months ago I finally got a seatbelt for her - it is a harness with a padded chest and the car's seat belt hooks through. It is WONDERFUL! I no longer have to worry about her jumping out the window or jumping under the steering wheel when a truck drives past (nervous girl). She still whines some, but the seatbelt certainly has calmed her down a LOT. Getting her hooked up is a riot as she is so excited, but we get it done. :)
    We are now much safer!

Feb 16, 2010, 02:43 AM

Thank you all for your comments and advice! I will give try out some suggestions and see how we get on!
    O
    Marriage Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Orla99 View Post
    Thank you all for your comments and advice! I will give try out some suggestions and see how we get on!
    O
    Good luck. Please, keep us updated if you can on your progress. :)

Feb 16, 2010, 07:41 AM

Will do! 8-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog cries when I walk him [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 14 week old cocker spaniel who doesn't like going for a walk! She just cries constantly when we're out, whether she's on the park off the lead or just walking round the streets. When you are out all she wants to do is go home and is pulling all the time. I've owned a cocker...

My Dog Cries all night in Crete [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old puppy that cries all night in the crete. I have taken him for walks, he plays with the other dog, he should be tired. But 4 am roles around and he is still screaming. When we first got him for about the last week we had him sleeping in our bed so I think he got used to...

How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he is excited? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog sees me and gets excited and sometimes will pee no matter where he is. Is there any way to brake him of this?

My dog humps people when he's excited. [ 6 Answers ]

My nine month old male yorkie puppy gets so excited that he starts humping peoples legs arms and any other limb he can get ahold of! As well as humping the air when he smell's curtain scents, it's getting to become a big problem, not to mention embarrassing! How do I go about teaching him it's not...

Dog Cries when Pooping [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old lab/terrior mix and for the last few days she cries when she poops. Can anyone tell me why? Sincerely, Case7280

View more questions Search