Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Dog Food.
    EVERYONE! What's your opinion on a good dog food...

I love this website... Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble.. helped me decide on what to feed.

Also.. the continuing Saga on whether IAMS is a decent food or not... Two website to consider...

IamsCruelty.com

Animal Testing Facts from IAMS at IAMS Truth

Thanks
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 11:07 AM

Response to Comments Regarding Iams (Animal Testing and Food Quality)
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 2:02pm
    We have read all of your comments regarding Iams and take your feedback very seriously. Because of your expressed concern, we had discussions with Iams and Procter & Gamble (Iams' parent company) representatives, and we decided to look into, again, the quality of Iams food and their humane treatment of animals. We truly appreciate it when people voice their opinions an d strive to learn more about issues that are important to them.

We take great care in what we feed the animals during their time at the shelter, and made the decision to work with Iams after many meetings, discussions and extensive research (including an inspection of the Iams facility in Dayton, Ohio). Currently, Iams donates food for all of the cats and dogs in our care, which lifts a major expense from our shoulders.

On Animal Testing at Iams

At the time we were switching our food suppliers, we sent our Executive Director, Vicki Burns, to Dayton, Ohio to conduct an audit inside one of the facilities where “animal testing” took place. Vicki thoroughly investigated the premises and reported to our Board of Directors that Iams was a safe and humane place for animals.

The types of “animal testing” done by Iams are actually feeding studies and are the same kind of studies a human would volunteer to join (i.e. urine, feces, blood and immune cell analysis, allergy tests and skin and muscle biopsies.) The tests are conducted within the strict guidelines of a detailed, industry-leading animal studies policy. Most of the animals that participate in these studies, complete them from their own home, with their owners collecting the data.

All of Iam's practices are conducted with the help of an independent International Animal Care Advisory board that includes some of the world's leading experts on animal care, welfare and ethics including a representative from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

The following major animal organizations from around the world have all deemed Iams a humane company that produces healthy and safe products:

- The Kennel Club (UK)
    - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
    - American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
    - American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)
    - The Animal Medical Center (AMC)
    - The American Kennel Club (AKC)
    - Canine Companions for Independence (CCT)
    - National Animal Interest Alliance (NAIA)
    - Humane Society of the United States (HSUS)
    - Canadian Federation of Humane Societies

All of this information and more can be found at Animal Care, pet food, and pet products from IAMS.

On the Quality of Iams Products

Iams is classified as a premium product, while specialized brands such as Eukanuba are qualified as super-premiums. The company follows a strict 19-point Quality Assurance program that covers everything from laboratory testing of materials, cleanliness of production facilities and handling of finished products. The program is one that includes some of the strictest food and safety standards in the business; it exceeds both USDA and Food and Drug Administration standards.

Iams has a core team of experienced veterinarians that are constantly working on improving the existing products. Iams food and procedures are also regularly reviewed by independent bodies such as the American Institute of Baking, a certification authority in the human food industry.

Just because they have grown to become a large company that offers affordable products does not mean they have low quality products. They do not change formulas when opportunities for cheaper ingredients arise and are constantly working towards making improvements to their products.

The food we give our animals has been approved by The WHS Director of Animal Health and has never caused any general health concerns for the animals in our care.

On P&G's Animal Testing Methods

While P&G does perform tests on animals, the company works very closely with The Humane Society of the United States, an organization that holds very high standards in area of animal welfare. The two organizations have worked closely together in contributing to the advancement of viable alternatives to animal testing.

Currently it is required by law to use animal research to ensure the safety of certain products. Today, government authorities still consider animal tests to be the most appropriate way to determine the safety and effectiveness of these products before human exposure. P&G only ever test on animals as a last resort, if it is required by law. They only involve the minimum number of animals necessary for their work and are constantly moving toward their goal of the reduction, refinement and replacement of animal research.

While it is not ideal to ever have to test on animals, the company has invested almost $200 million towards alternatives to animal research and have developed more than 50 proven alternatives such as computer models, in vitro cell culture tests, advanced chemistry methods and human clinical studies.

While we don't agree with animal testing, we know that progress is being made towards its eventual elimination, which is definitely a cause worth supporting.

This information and more can be found at PG.com Sustainability: environmental issues, supply chain.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 11:09 AM

THat was posted from a Winnipeg Humane Society.
    laollis Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2010, 11:12 AM

Orijen and Innova don't contain by-products. They are the best dry foods for dogs and puppies.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 04:10 PM

This is one downfall of living in Australia, we do not have the same food as the US and Canada.

The best food available here, and what I will be feeding my new puppy is Royal Canin.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 04:39 PM

We sell that here in Canada.
    They really promote that at Petcetra...
    But something I found out and was kind of nice to hear, is that the Petcetra here only "sells" cats and kittens for the S.P.C.A
    Now if they would only do the same for the dogs and puppies!
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 04:47 PM

I really want Aus to get in all the foods I have been hearing are great like Blue Buffalo and Orijen.
    We only just got Eagle Pack here not long ago.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laollis View Post
    Orijen and Innova don't contain by-products. They are the best dry foods for dogs and puppies.
    I'd be careful of Orijen. EVERY dog I know that is on it has elevated kidney values.

Feb 9, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    I'd be careful of Orijen. EVERY dog I know that is on it has elevated kidney values.
    The dog I had before this one lived on Orijen for 19 years with no problems. I can't get Orijen where I live now, and so this dog gets Innova. I won't give my dogs brands like Iams that are full of by-products. I love my dogs!
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 05:08 PM
    The dog I had before this one lived on Orijen for 19 years with no problems. I can't get Orijen where I live now, and so this dog gets Innova. I won't give my dogs brands like Iams that are full of by-products. I love my dogs!
    How often did you check kidney values while on the diet?
    It doesn't make them all sick, but we have about 25 clients on Orijen and they all have elevated values - some showing clinical signs, some not. Usually once they change to an equally good food, the values come back down significantly.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Wow! Really? That's crazy! I wonder what caused that... Ive heard such good things about Orijen... However; Innova Evo still rates higher... Have you heard anything about Evo?
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Wow! Really?? Thats crazy!! I wonder what caused that... Ive heard such good things about Orijen...However; Innova Evo still rates higher... Have you heard anything about Evo??
    Nope! It's weird, but we have a record of it at work because the one vet was noticing a trend..

Feb 10, 2010, 07:26 PM
    Nope! It's weird, but we have a record of it at work because the one vet was noticing a trend..
    Are YOU a Vet, or an wannabe? I have done heaps of research on ALL brands of dog food for the past 17 years, and have never heard any such results being stated from Vets or users of Orijen.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 08:43 PM
    Are YOU a Vet, or an wannabe? I have done heaps of research on ALL brands of dog food for the past 17 years, and have never heard any such results being stated from Vets or users of Orijen.
    That sounded a little rude:( Is that how you meant it?

I use the Van Patten brand, it seems to be doing better for Coogle and his ichy problems.:)
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 01:28 AM

No Sariss is not a Vet and she never said she was. However Sariss does know her stuff when it comes to animal health and her trust her answers.

If she says that every dog she has seen on Orijen has elevated levels then I believe it.
    It may be co-incidence, it may be something in the water in her area I don't know but I do believe her.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 05:28 AM
    No, I am a Registered Veterinary Technician. I'm stating the facts we have based on the 25 or so cases we have documented. Get off my back. It could be a coincidence, but it's very odd to me (and everyone else). Only a few have changed diets (and bloodwork about 3 months later shows a decline in BUN/CREA when they do), but those who don't and keep on it, the values stay about the same throughout, and will usually increase with age.
    I recommended being careful with that diet mainly because if the dog has underlying renal issues, it may worsen them.
    IF you are so high because you have done x years of research on said brand, instead of being rude you could provide solid fact in the way of various clinical trials and research conducted on that diet on organ function over a period of several years, because that would be interesting and I could call it one odd, odd coincidence if the scientific research argues against it.
    But if you don't, then I guess your opinion is as good as mine and I guess we will have to leave it at that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my new dog wee on his food his food bowls [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new small dog, about one year old, and three existing dogs. The new dog wees on his food bowl every time he has finished a meal, whether he is fed alone or with the other dogs. Can anyone tell me why he does this.

Why would my dog not eat dog food but want my food and treats? [ 9 Answers ]

Our 6 year old weimaraner Gucci is generally a voracious eater but when we opened a new bag of his usual food, he and our two labs turned their noses up at it. We immediately changed to another food that they all ate just fine. Surprisingly with no stomach or gas issues. After a day of eating fine,...

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and she is mix she is 2 year old and when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food and I giver her a lot of kind of food but she would still not eat what do you think I should do

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and mix she is 2 year old when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food I giver her alots of food but she would not eat it what do you think I should do Help

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

View more questions Search