Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lvwilliam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 10:51 AM
    1996 taurus crankshaft pully
    I have tried for 2 days to remove the crankshaft pully from my 96 ford taurus,24 valve v6. It won't come loose can anyone help
    coyote556 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 12:36 AM
    Are you using a harmonic balancer puller? Usually there are two to four holes in the face of the pulley. These holes are used to thread the bolts of the puller into. Have you been using a puller?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2006, 08:19 AM
    1. Remove driveplate accesss cover and hold the ring gear teeth with a large screwdriver or pry bar to prevent the crankshaft from turning.
    2. Remove the nuts that secure the pulley bracket to the engine front cover. Remove the pulley and bracket from the engine.
    3. The crankshaft pulley screws into the crankshaft damper with a left-hand thread; turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise to loosen and remove it.
    4. Remove the crankshaft damper retaining bolt (it has conventional, right-hand threads).
    5. Using a suitable puller, remove the crankshaft damper. Caution: Use a puller designed to remove a crankshaft damper. Such a puller has bolts that screw into the holes in the center of the damper. Do not use a gear puller or any puller that grips the outer circumference of the damper. Such a puller will destroy the damper.
    96fordbull Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
    If its more like mine you need to jam the flywheel and take a powerful impact gun to the bolt and let it go at it for a min it takes a while.once it comes off put a floor jack under the front of your subframe and loosen the back bolt half way and take the front one out... carefully lower the jack until the pulley clears.
    96fordbull Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 96fordbull View Post
    if its more like mine you need to jam the flywheel and take a powerful impact gun to the bolt and let it go at it for a min it takes a while.once it comes off put a floor jack under the front of your subframe and loosen the back bolt half way and take the front one out...carefully lower the jack til the pulley clears.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 Taurus Transmission [ 7 Answers ]

The transmission in my 97 Taurus slips intermittently. It will be operating normally and suddenly let go. The engine will rev but the tranny won't pull. It will maintain a very low speed, and occasionally grab, but basically acts like the car's in neutral. It was operating normally today until...

Crankshaft Pully Bolt [ 5 Answers ]

Trying to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt on a 87 Honda accord. Can't find away to hold the pulley and turn the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.

Honda Accord Crankshaft Holding Tool [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have a drawing for a design of a tool to hold the crankshaft on a 1995 4cyl honda Accord? The crankshaft pulley has a 50 mm internal hexagon to put the tool in. A 3/4'' drive impact wrench wouldn't shift the nut so I had to drill it out.

99 Taurus [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of a relative, who suffers from Bi-polar depression. She is on total disability, lives in subsidized housing and relies on less than $100 per month in foods stamps. My sister had to voluntarily surrender her car back to Ford Motor Company because she could no longer work thus...

View more questions Search