Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkangelgirl Posts: 45, Reputation: 8

Jan 20, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Brown mark developed after teeth whitening
    Hi, 3months ago I bought a home teeth whitening kit from my dentist to use before my wedding. It did make my teeth sensitive so after awhile I stopped using it and it made my teeth slightly whiter, however just recently I have developed a brownish mark on my front tooth and I have no idea why as I don't drink coffee, red wine or foods that can stain them. Could this be due to the whitening kit? This tooth is sensitive and now looks bad but I'm afraid to try whitening again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 03:31 AM
    I'd suggest seeing your Dental Hygienist to see if the stain could be polished off. If the tooth is sensitive to hot or biting you should see the dentist as the nerve in the tooth could be dying or dead. Are you using any mouth rinses such as Crest Pro Health? |This rinse is known to cause staining.

Jan 21, 2010, 09:46 PM

Hi flossie, I was hoping to get a reply from you as you seem to give very good dental advice. I am not using those mouth washes but I'm using a natural one which is very mild. My tooth is abit sensitive to hot and cold but mainly to acidic foods or dressings which I am trying to avoid. I feel the pain is coming from underneath, it does feel as though a nerve is exposed or something but the pain and color change has only happened since the whitening. My other teeth are healthy.

Jan 21, 2010, 09:46 PM
    I am seeing a dentist in a couple of weeks. If the tooth is dying what would be the options?
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 07:38 AM
    The option for a dying tooth would be a root canal.

If your tooth is sensitive to acidic foods it sounds like you might have some root exposure or acid erosion. Try using Sensodyne toothpaste or a similar toothpaste for sensitive teeth. After eating acidic foods try to wait 30 minutes before brushing your teeth as the acids soften the enamel and if your brush right away it causes the teeth to erode.

Jan 22, 2010, 09:54 PM

Thanks a lot flossie, it does feel like a nerve is exposed from the bottom. I will get it checked out.

Jan 25, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    The option for a dying tooth would be a root canal.

If your tooth is sensitive to acidic foods it sounds like you might have some root exposure or acid erosion. Try using Sensodyne toothpaste or a similar toothpaste for sensitive teeth. After eating acidic foods try to wait 30 minutes before brushing your teeth as the acids soften the enamel and if your brush right away it causes the teeth to erode.
    Hi flossie, just wanted to let you know what happened when I went to a new dentist. He said the nerves were exposed in my front teeth due to teeth grinding and that id completely worn off the enamel. He showed me x-rays and gave excellent advice, nothing like my old dentist. Funnily enough the brown mark had nothing to do with the pain I was experiencing and so he buffed it off! He put a filling in the front tooth and I'm going to get a mouth guard for nights. Do you know much about teeth grinding? Thanks for your previous advice:)
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Grinding is VERY common especially with the amount of stress people are under these days.
    The night guard will protect your teeth for sure but you MUST wear it every night. I've been wearing one for 10+ years. I'm glad it was a simple fix for you!

Teeth grinding is most often done while we are sleeping. It's one of the ways our bodies deal with our stresses.

Jan 26, 2010, 08:14 PM

Yeah apparently it is. I am definitely getting a night guard but for the moment I'm wearing a tray from my teeth whitening which I hope will help in the meantime. I guess you would get used to wearing the tray every night.

Thanks again for advice:)
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 04:51 AM
    You will probably wear right through your whitening tray in no time at all since it is made of a weaker and more pliable material than a night guard is. The night guard will also protect your joints where the whitening tray doesn't.

Jan 27, 2010, 02:27 PM

Ok. Yeah I noticed that although there's no marks on the tray my jaw near my ear is still hurting. I read that putting a wet warm cloth around your jaw for awhille before sleeping can help relax the jaw. Have you tried anything else to help stop grinding?
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2010, 02:46 PM
    I haven't tried this but yoga is supposed to work well. I think it's just a way to deal with your stress. You could try running, working out, swimming anything to help you relieve the stresses of the day. Anti inflammatories like Ibuprofen (Advil) work for short term relief.
    Chiropractic and massage therapy can help too.

Jan 27, 2010, 08:42 PM

Ok that sounds good. That's funny because last week I went to yoga for the first time as there's a class near my home. It definitely is relaxing.
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2010, 06:25 AM
    It's funny how the body KNOWS what you need, isn't it? :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teeth whitening [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 17 years old, and I recently noticed in a photo that I had done a while back with my friends that my teeth were a yellowy shade compared to my friends teeth, ever since I've become really paranoid about my teeth and I want them whitened. So I went to see my dentist as I new he did teeth...

Teeth whitening [ 2 Answers ]

What is in teeth whinting products that make your teeth white?

Teeth Whitening? [ 3 Answers ]

Umm hi:) , I just wanted to know what is the best way to lighten or whiten your teeth? Is it just brushing them because I do brush them but well, used to I only brushd in the morning but the chick told me I just needed to brush to a day to fix that.Just tell me what you think.:)

Whitening Teeth [ 2 Answers ]

:) Is whitening teeth the best idea? I want to whiten my teeth but am not sure how.So I really need yalls advice and stories.Should I get a job (like at a office) done? Or should I use white strips? PleeezHelp!

View more questions Search