Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2009, 02:21 PM
    dog snapped at my little sister
    my border collie x snapped at my little four year old sister yesterday, should I be worried? His never done it before.. she cuddles him all the time & kisses him on the head sometimes and I think that's what she was doing at the time.. I try to make sure she doesn't hassle him too much. I'm not sure whether he snapped as a warning or? he appears to like her cuddles & tries to kiss her back when she kisses him.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 03:38 PM

How old is your Collie?

I would be very careful. While it may have just been a warning snap with no actual ill intention behind it you never know if they will just 'snap' one day and have had enough.

I know this sounds obvious but never leave a child unattended with a dog, even the sweetest dogs can get a bit upset with a pushy child.

Does your sister live with the dog or was she just visiting?

At 4 she is quite capable of learning how to behave properly around dogs so it might be time to give your sister a few little lessons.
    Just teach her that dogs do not like the be crowded or cornered and that petting him is OK but cuddles and kisses are not.
    Teach her that she should only touch the dog if he knows she is there so she doesn't surprise him as well.
    And you can also start to teach her the warning signs of when a dog is upset or does not like what is happening. (ears back, growling, baring teeth, pulling way etc. )

Oct 22, 2009, 05:36 PM

Thank you, I've been trying to, she knows not to hurt him and to be gentle its just the cuddling thing. Thank you :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 08:46 PM

Yeah, they mean well wanting to give the dog cuddles but some dogs just don't like it, especially with little ones.

One idea I like is making up a chart with her name on it and days of the week... when she does something good with the dog, for example just sits next to him and pets him then she gets a gold star on her chart.
    If she gets gold stars all week then she gets a special gift at the end.
    If she misses a day and does something that she has been told not to then she starts over again the next week.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2009, 08:52 PM

As always shazamataz's advice is always good.

What could have EASILY happened is that the daughter stepped the dogs toes by getting too close. She may not be aware that she needs to watch her feet when close to the dog.

Oct 23, 2009, 12:27 AM

Thank you both of you (: yeahh she has just got a chart with stickers so ill see about adding that to it good idea :) I'm forever reminding her about where she steps around him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Snapped.But is it OK? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I need to vent. I come here everyday and mostly read, I don't like to post much about my personal life to a lot of people I don't know (but yes, I have before), but I really need some help. I was with an abusive partner for over seven years. I have other posts here related to...

I think I snapped a rod. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 21hp B&S twin cylinder lawn mower that I have used without incident for 4 years. This past winter it sat idle in the shed until I was ready to use it in the spring. I filled it up with gas and, apparently not too carefully, checked the dipstick but stupidly enough did not put any new oil...

Hub snapped off waste fitting [ 4 Answers ]

I was attempting to snake/remove a bad street elbow in a basement sink/washing machine waste line. I leveraged against the hub where this line meets the cast fitting. I broke the hub from a double upright y with 1.5" side outlet cast iron waste fitting. The hub I snapped off was on the side outlet....

Dog snapped over bone [ 4 Answers ]

My dog just snapped at my daughter because he was chewing on his bone and she went to pet him and he snapped at her biting down on her nail. My daughter's fine just a little startled, and I'm angry as hell. WHY! Did he snap at her? The first thing I did was removed the bone and he's not getting it...

My dog snapped at my friend today! What do I do? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, My husband and I adopted a sweet Husky/German Shepherd mix from the SPCA about a year and a half ago. We know nothing about her background, except that she was housetrained and knew how to sit and shake. She also heeled like a sled dog, dragging me down the road for a while! Most...

View more questions Search