Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azjan47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Paint Project Gone wrong.
    I started a repainting project in my front bathroom last weekend and I think something has gone terribly wrong. I stripped off the existing wallpaper using a gel formula and washed the walls down with water/ammonia mixture. I allowed the walls to dry for three days. I then went in and cleaned the walls again with TSP and then applied Kilz2 Primer. This caused a very foul oder that can only be described as vomit. What did I do wrong? Will this smell eventually go away? I don't want to apply the basecoat until I know if this will go away. The bathroom is interior with no window for ventilation, but I do have a fan which has been on constantly since I did this. Could there have been a reaction from the TSP and primer? If so, how can I fix this? Thanks;
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 27, 2009, 11:05 AM

Did you use oil primer, or the basic primer?
    Depending on how much TSP you used?

The only time I heard of this happening is when the primer itself is bad. In that case, you are looking at repriming with better - new primer. Some say oil base, while others say just the new premium acrylic works just as good. Go back to that store where you bought the primer and tell them. Bring that primer with you. They may just give you some different primer, but if they do - test it first to ensure the store doesn't have a bad batch.
    azjan47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Thanks, cyberheater. Bad primer was my first thought, but the primer was new and the primer itself, while in the can, didn't have that same oder. It smelled like it should; latex. It seems to be less noxious today, so it could be that the area I am painting is very small, has poor ventilation and may just need some time to cure.

Sep 28, 2009, 06:06 AM

Primer does not smell good to begin with. If the smell is really going away - good. But, the primer should not take several days to cure enough for you to paint.
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Sep 29, 2009, 10:47 AM

Usually, once kilz primer dries... All that's left is a mild oil/enamel smell... Not "vomit"... Kilz usually seals in everything that gets in its way. Maybe the amonia or too much TSP is causing something. When I use kilz... im painting over it the same day, with usually latex and you never smell the Kilz again..

Sep 30, 2009, 08:46 AM

The type of "vomit" smell usually occures in the primer if it's bad and it can be bad even you bought it new. New doesn't mean it can't be bad.

I thought of the combo of TSP and ammonia too, but that smell would have been covered up some after priming. However, since I am not presently able to sniff myself, you never can be sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if use wrong primer paint [ 1 Answers ]

What happens if you use wrong primer paint. e.g. use wood primer on a plastic

Eagle Project - Re-painting a locker room that has oil based paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on my Eagle Project for Boy Scouts and part of my project is re-painting the boys locker room in my school. It currently has oil-based paint on the walls. I would like to use Latex paint for the ease of use and clean up but am unsure of the process for painting over oil based paint. ...

I am a girl and have to figure out what paint and how to paint my barn? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so now that I have your attention.. I have a very old existing barn with not much paint on it. Who knows when and with what type of paint was used it is so weathered. I think I can just paint over it. In its condition I would have to sand it. The paint is not flaking it is just very weathered...

Correcting the wrong paint color [ 3 Answers ]

I've painted my heavily-textured bathroom walls an impossibly bright orange. I was going for a burnt orange. It's a royal pain to paint these walls, due to the texture (especially the cut-in). What can I do to burnish the surface without completely repainting?

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

View more questions Search