Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mishka1 Posts: 20, Reputation: -1

Sep 16, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Do I need floor outlets in this remodel?
    I am remodeling an old car shop for use as a home. I have a 30'x40' room and a 16'x40' room. The walls are concrete block and the floor is poured concrete. Do I need to cut floor concrete to install some floor outlets to get to the "within 6' of an outlet" rule? What are my options here? I really don't want to have to cut the floor. I'm hoping you'll tell me the 6' rule does not apply here.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 05:02 AM

The "6 foot rule" applies to the walls of a room, place outlets no father than 12 foot apart, in a room to be used for a residence.

Kitchen counters, laundry and bathrooms have their own requirements.

I suspect you will have a need for several outlets in the center of either room.

How would you propose to get power in the center of the rooms, if needed?

Run extension cords?

Sep 16, 2009, 04:32 PM

Thank you. I thought that might be the case. I will definitely need some outlets toward the center of the room, so cutting the floor is necessary, but to one or 2 locations is much better than the web that would be needed to never be more than 6' away from an outlet.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
    Technically, you can have one outlet handle an area the size of 12 feet in diameter.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 04:39 PM
    I had another post but seems to be lost in cyberspace.

I did not mean to imply the floor had to be cut. You can use ugly drop cords, or pipe stanchons, or you can use undercarpet wiring systems.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 04:40 PM

How about a power pole? Has both low and high voltage channels.

Sep 16, 2009, 04:52 PM

The concrete will be left bare and stained in this room so I think under the concrete is the way to go, just the really messy way to go.
    KeepItSimpleStupid, Can you link me to a "power pole." I'm not familiar with that.

Sep 16, 2009, 05:14 PM

Ahh, Pricey, but very cool. Good possible solution.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 05:31 PM

How about strategically placed decorative columns, floor to ceiling?
    Give the place "character".
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 18, 2009, 06:10 AM

I with harold.

Cutting through the concrete to make conduit runs is really expensive. Utilize columns and other methods to do this. YOu can be creative and it will add to your design.

I am interested in your project. Can you give us pics for to see?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leveling floor in a bathroom remodel [ 13 Answers ]

I have put down durock over old tong and groove subfloor planks. I first added screws through the subfloor to the joists. I then laid thin set down and put the durock over the thin set and again screwed through the durrock into the joist with 2 and 1/4 inch screws. I am left with a floor that...

Second floor bath remodel [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bathroom on the second floor and need to move the toilet 4' from existing roof vent and drain. Can I use the existing vent.

Bathroom wiring: 2 outlets, vent, electric floor heat, 1 ceiling light, 2 sconce [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about to start wiring a new bathroom. It's gutted and on the ground floor with easy access to underneith. I have limited space left in my main panel for new breakers (new service coming soon), so I may have to move things around for more efficient use of breakers. I want to wire: 1...

Wiring for outlets and in-floor heating system [ 4 Answers ]

I have an existing 15 Amp circuit running to 3-4 outlet boxes and a single overhead light (120 Watt bulb). I want to wire off one of the boxes to move it to a different location and power a new single outlet and an in-floor radiant heating system. - I pulled the exiting wire (circa 1975 or...

View more questions Search