Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lotte73 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Leaving a puppy
    I am trying to train my shih tzu puppy to stay home alone. I will be going back to work after having the summer off, she is 15 weeks old. I have done it gradually over time, but she just seems so upset when we get back and has pee'd on the floor! She also won't leave my side after I get in! Any advice or help with this problem will be great. I am going back to work on Monday, I work part time so she will be left 4-5 hours a day, I know this is not ideal but it has to be done!

Thanks in advance :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 09:54 AM

It seems you have already started what I usually suggest but I will post it anyway as the second part may help you...

Does your dog cry when you leave the room? Urinate only when you leave the house?
    These are a few signs that your dog may be suffering from Separation Anxiety.

Some dogs do not like being left alone and some will think you are leaving them permanently and not coming back. Here are a few tips to help fix this problem.

When you leave, no matter how long for always have fresh water available. Toys are also a wonderful training tool as it will keep the dog distracted, I use kong toys stuffed with yummy food as a cure for boredom, having special toys or treats that the dog gets only when you go out are also a wonderful idea.

When training my own dogs for separation anxiety I first distract my dogs with their favourite toy and then exit my house through the front door.
    I only leave for a minute or two, just long enough so that the dog does not bark or cry.
    I then re-enter the house and give them praise for not crying.

Next time I go out I leave for a few more minutes, again only entering the house if the dog is not crying and giving praise.

Increase the amount of time you leave for and always come back before the dog starts crying (you will learn how long that threshold is pretty quickly)

This teaches the dog that you are going to come back and they are not being left alone forever.

Another technique is to not "baby" the dog.
    Some dogs become overly attached to their owner and don't even like their owner being out of their line of sight, in this case the training needs to begin before you start going out

Start paying less attention to the dog, when he pushes for attention, don't give it to him
    If he wants to be petted, make him wait.
    As harsh as it sounds it is the only way to get the dog to start becoming less dependent on you.

After you have trained the dog to be less clingy you can move onto things like leaving the dog in the living room while you have a shower, or leaving him inside while you are out hanging up washing on the clothesline.

Sep 5, 2009, 10:01 AM

Hi Shaz,

We have tried all of the above, a kong, toys etc...
    She cries the minute we leave her in the kitchen, she even knows when we are going to leave her as she tries to get out the door!

She has also started playing up at bedtime as well! She used to love her crate, but now she is waking up earlier and earlier and crying to get out, she is completely attached to me, its making it hard for the whole family to be honest!
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 10:24 AM

You need to step back and take less of a dominant role with her.

Get other family members to feed her, walk her and play with her for a while.
    I know it's hard when they are so young and cute but if she is very attached to you then it is the best thing for her so she is less upset when you leave.
    Once she has detached herself from you a little then you can go back to normal.

Sep 6, 2009, 01:38 AM

Hi Shaz, We are having a nightmare with our pup! She has been crate trained for about 3 weeks now and was great, but the last few nights she doesn't want to get in it! Last night she cried nearly all night in it, we are back to square 1 with her!! I was so pleased when we finally got her settled, but now she is back to the way she was when we first got her, could this have anything to do with the fact I have started leaving her alone? I did it gradually though.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 03:24 AM

That's not good, I thought we had the problem sorted :(

You could try leaving her in the crate when you go out instead of the kitchen.
    She might settle better being in a more confined space.

It's just a guess but maybe she has the mindset that if she is allowed in the kitchen during the day, why does she get locked up at night?

It's a hard one, all my dogs have the routine of kitchen when we go out and crates at bed time.

She is only young and it may be something she will grow out of but I'm sure you want some sleep before then!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving Puppy Alone [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to be picking up a 8 week old Chihuahua. Is it okay to leave her alone during the day, I work and live alone. I will put her in a doggie box (kennel) with water and food and turn on the fan in the garage. She will have toys as well. Please Help, I don't want to leave her alone but I have...

Leaving puppy home [ 1 Answers ]

I have just gotten a 7wk old min pin/jack russel pup and as I work have had to leave him at home for a few days a week. I am feeling very bad about leaving him at home. We have someone that can go and see him a few times in the day and its four days of the week, he has a bed, chew toys, dry food...

Leaving a puppy home alone. [ 11 Answers ]

I am going to buy a new puppy soon and my mum has a dog at home already. My only concern is the amount of time it will be left alone. I have a crate which I will put toys and bedding in (and a bowl of water). I will also take it for a walk before I leave to go to school. Will the puppy be OK in the...

Leaving my puppy alone [ 2 Answers ]

Every now and again I will need to leave my new 8 week old puppy alone for around 8hours in a day. I have come up with the solution of where to put my new pup and what it should play with. But the only dilema I am having is feeding times! I've been told that a pup should have 2 meals split...

Leaving my puppy in the car [ 9 Answers ]

Can I leave my puppy in the car while I go into the store even if it takes me an hour to finish. Or is that too long

View more questions Search