Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hol Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Going back to brown hair from black
    Sorry if this question has been asked before I have my 4yr old going crazy so didn't really get to look threw the questions but I have dyed my hair black for about 2yrs now and I really wanted to go back to my natural color which is med to dark brown... I don't have the time or money to go to the hair dresser and have it stripped or bleached.I tried just dying it brown but only my roots took the rest is still black. Is there anyway to get it back to my natural color. I heard if you dye it blonde it will go brown but I am scared it will go orange instead. Is there anything I can do to get it to were I can dye it cloest to my natural color

Will color opps work?
    nathancc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 07:31 AM

It does not madder
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2009, 12:57 AM

Only bleach or modulate will remove that black! Yes blonde gets color out! But not just any blonde! It must be bleach! In your case a high volume bleach2lift through all that pigment! Yea your correct you will end up w orange and your very ends more than likely an ugly redish pink! Don't attempt this yourself! IV specialized in color 7yrs and when I went from a blue black to a level 8 it was hell but even a well educated colorist as myself needed assistance on the process! Plus you'd spend tons trying2get the right toner for your hair after you lifted the color out! You'd actually need about 4different color formulas to properly counteract the underlying pigments that will result from lifting! It takes experience to do this and education and color! Its not like people assume! They think we pick a color and slap it on!wrong!! Go2ur salon for corrective color!
    ccm9064 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 09:23 AM

I used color oops. I had the same problem... 2 years of black hair. And I used 2 boxes of color oops and it only turned my roots orange. Now I'm stuck with the rest of my hair black and I don't know what to do either! Good luck
    Mmgraham23 Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Mar 22, 2012, 07:45 PM
    I have the same problem and yes color oops will take out the black as it did for me but you will get an orange color almost blonde hair and then you can just dye over that but be careful sometimes you might not want to leave in the color oops for as long as the box says you should check your hair regularly and also when dying it to your desired hair color make sure you pick a few shades lighter then what you want because it can very easily go back to. Black because those color pigments are still in your hair and what color oops does is minimize those but when you reduce it can re oxidize those pigments and it will to back to black so be careful! It happened to me! But if this doesn't work for you do not try it again it will just damage your scalpe and that's even worse sometimes the only thing u Need is time for the color to fade maybe try clerifying shampoo? Do not do the whole dish soap thing... I tried it and all it does is dry your hair really badly.. but hope this helps Iam in the same situation right now trying to get rid of this ugly black! No bleaching Though I want my hair to grow out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fade dyed black hair back to brown [ 12 Answers ]

OK so I dyed my hair a few days ago with wash out dye - it said it would last 6 weeks but the thing is I tried to dye it dark brown because I was sick of my mousey brown colour but it turned out black!! Please help me I look mega goth (sorry to all you goths out there but it really dose not suit...

Black hair back to brown HELP HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I recently coloured my hair midnight black! It a new 3d colour that is black with a tint of blue in certain shades of light. It looks awful. I want it back to my natural colour which is a medium brown. How do I do it?? Help me urgently

Permanent hair dye black- dye it back to light brown? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I have naturally light/medium brown hair. I wanted to try going blonde, so I went and got some permanent blonde hair dye. I dyed it once and it was an awful reddish blonde color, and I could tell the light color wasn't helping compliment my face at all. So I returned the rest of the blonde...

What to turn black hair back to brown [ 1 Answers ]

I used Bigen #47 it turned my hair black I want to go back to dark brown. I was told that I could use Bigen #45 and it would lighten my hair to dark brown without having to use A color zapper. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Ahh getting rid of jet black hair dye - going back brown! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! I've got such a problem! I dyed my hair a few days ago and it went ginger, so I dyed over it dark brown but it went jet black, and so I dyed over it with brown hair dye and it didn't make any difference I have brown extensions and they don't match and I can't afford black ones which I don't...

View more questions Search