Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talal-crackdown Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 01:57 AM
    What is logrithmic method of interpolation?
    DEAR ALL,
    I am a student and I want to know about logrithmic method of interpolation from begninning with and example.
    I would be very grateful to anyone who can guide me.thanks
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Aug 17, 2009, 05:51 AM
    Suppose you have a variable F which is a exponential function of a variable t, for some initial value P; in other words

. You do not know the values of r or P.

You have two observations of F: F(5) = 164.8721, and F(15) = 448.1689. You want to determine F(10) (i.e. halfway between t = 5 and t = 15), but you know that a simple linear interpolation between your two observations won't work, as F follows an exponential curve.

So hit it this way: Take the natural logs of your two observations...

ln(164.8721) = 5.10517; and ln(448.1689) = 6.10517.

Now linearly interpolate halfway between these two (5.60517), and exponentiate to get your desired result:

= 271.8281.

When I then reveal that I initially used P = 100 and r = 0.10 to generate the numbers, you can verify the two observations, as well as verify that F(10) is indeed 271.8281.

It works because of the following: If you know that F is a function of t of the form , then taking nat logs of both sides...

ln(F) = ln(P) + rt

... shows the nat log of F as a linear function of t, for some constants ln(P) and r. Thus, the nat log of F(10) must certainly fall on the line between the nat logs of your two observations.

Hope that helped out a bit, and good luck!
    talal-crackdown Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 05:33 AM

@ ARCSIN
    Thank you very much for your kind guidance...
    I am grateful to you
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Aug 24, 2009, 05:48 AM
    It was a pleasure... glad it helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FIFO cost method from the weighted-average cost method [ 4 Answers ]

On December 31, 2006 Company appropriately changed to the FIFO cost method from The weighted-average cost method for financial statement and income tax purposes. The change will result in a $70,000 increase in the beginning inventory @January 1, 2006. Assuming a 40 Percent income tax rate, the...

Cubic Spline Interpolation Guessing the Control Points [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Given a set of 2D points (located on a 2D graph) I want to guess the spline cubic control points in order to draw a smoother 2D graph. I will use a set of images in order to show you what I want to do: Starting from 5 control points ( , , , , ) I was able to guess the intermediate...

Absorption Costing Method and Marginal Costing Method [ 0 Answers ]

A company's normal capacity utilization is reckoned as 90%, it has a production capacity of 200000 units per year. Standard variable production cost and the variable selling cost are Rs. 11 and Rs. 3 per unit respectively. However the fixed cost and the fixed selling cost are rs. 360000 and Rs....

Logrithmic functions [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble with these problems if someone could help me that would be great. 2^(3x-5)=4 27^(7x-3)=3^(20x+19) log X + log 4= log 5

View more questions Search