Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Jun 18, 2009, 08:11 AM
    What is love?
    Hey folks, I know you might think I am silly to ask this question. But I have been told that no question is a stupid question.

I am going through a time when I am confused between "love" and "relationship of convenience". Could you all please define "love" for me and distinguish between two above said terms?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 08:23 AM

Relationship of convenience: settling for the sake of having something.

Love: when your heart is just emotionally invested as your head, or even more.

Perhaps that is a stupid definition, but I don't want to get all philosophical on you!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Love - Willing to work together through good times and bad.

Relationship of convenience - Nothing to do with love but closer to an arrangement for mutual benefit.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...on-365972.html

I suspect your questioning your relationship here, but be aware it's a red flag to pay attention to when you have a partner who is so loose with her finances and would just give a guy 50k, without a promissory note or contract. Not the smartest move in the world. Get the girl a lawyer, so at least she can get the correct advice.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 10:57 AM

I really felt like putting "Baby don't hurt me" but I'll resist.

Love is giving yourself completely to another, giving them your heart with enough trust that they will care for it as if it were their own.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Robert A Heinlein defined love better than anyone else I've ever heard. I put his definition at the bottom of every post.

I don't think her sleeping with somebody to get money back fits under Happiness or Welfare.
    4answers Posts: 200, Reputation: 35

Jun 18, 2009, 02:34 PM
    Love is a strong emotional attachment to someone who is perceived of very high value, based on spending positive rewarding time, interest and experiences together.

Anything else is making do. And you would rather be somewhere else or with someone else.

Jun 18, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Love - Willing to work together thru good times and bad.

Relationship of convenience - Nothing to do with love but closer to an arrangement for mutual benefit.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...on-365972.html

I suspect your questioning your relationship here, but be aware its a red flag to pay attention to when you have a partner who is so loose with her finances and would just give a guy 50k, without a promissory note or contract. Not the smartest move in the world. Get the girl a lawyer, so at least she can get the correct advice.
    I was also told the same thing by one of my relatives that nobody would throw $50K without any document or contract to a stranger unless that stranger is well in the life of the giver. I heard that but it did not bother me because everyone has a past.

I had consulted a lawyer but without any document it is hard to prove anything. Secondly, even if the person is pulled in the court, he can say that she was his girlfriend and she only gave him the money as a gift or support to start a business.

If I go for other means, then it would be big mess and the whole matter could change into a criminal case.

Jun 18, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    I really felt like putting "Baby don't hurt me" but I'll resist.

Love is giving yourself completely to another, giving them your heart with enough trust that they will care for it as if it were their own.
    Thanks. But what would you do when other person does no like the way you love him/her? How would you make that person understand. Would the person not wear out eventually if it is one sided love?

Jun 18, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Robert A Heinlein defined love better than anyone else I've ever heard. I put his definition at the bottom of every post.

I don't think her sleeping with somebody to get money back fits under Happiness or Welfare.
    I totally agree. I know she is pretty tight due to this loss, but she does not understand that dark clouds never last for a longtime in the sky. That mf is so cunning he would use her and still not give her a penny. Pray that she understands this and forget it and move on in life.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2009, 07:40 PM
    I'd like to quote the bible and say:

“Love is patient; love is kind
    and envies no one.
    Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
    never selfish, not quick to take offense.
    There is nothing love cannot face;
    there is no limit to its faith,
    its hope, and endurance.
    In a word, there are three things
    that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
    but the greatest of them all is love.”

As you can see it says nothing about : Love is butterflies in your stomach, love is living and breathing the person. Love is often confused with emotions and feelings when in reality it is a decision you make. You decide to love someone for who they are despite their faults. The emotion is just infatuation [that fades quickly], but love is actually a lesson that is re-learned after every obstacle.

As for "relationship of convenience", it's simply when someone makes a poor choice to be with someone whether it be because of low self-esteem, financial reasons, peer pressure, etc. It's not that the person truly wants to be in the relationship it is just that "it's good for right now".

Just my opinion.

Sarah

Jun 19, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    I'd like to quote the bible and say:

“Love is patient; love is kind
    and envies no one.
    Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
    never selfish, not quick to take offense.
    There is nothing love cannot face;
    there is no limit to its faith,
    its hope, and endurance.
    In a word, there are three things
    that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
    but the greatest of them all is love.”

As you can see it says nothing about : Love is butterflies in your stomach, love is living and breathing the person. Love is often confused with emotions and feelings when in reality it is a decision you make. You decide to love someone for who they are despite their faults. The emotion is just infatuation [that fades quickly], but love is actually a lesson that is re-learned after every obstacle.

As for "relationship of convenience", it's simply when someone makes a poor choice to be with someone whether it be because of low self-esteem, financial reasons, peer pressure, etc. It's not that the person truly wants to be in the relationship it is just that "it's good for right now".

Just my opinion.

Sarah
    Sarah, thanks for these beautiful lines.

Just wondering when you love someone should you not try to fix broken leg of the person so that he can walk painlessly?
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    Sarah, thanks for these beautiful lines.

Just wondering when you love someone should you not try to fix broken leg of the person so that he can walk painlessly?
    I assume this is an analogy correct?
    BriannaLeighx3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 07:08 AM

1.a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
    2.a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
    3.sexual passion or desire.
    4.a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
    5.(used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
    6.a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
    7.sexual intercourse; copulation.
    8.(initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
    9.affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
    10.strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
    11.the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
    12.the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
    13.Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
    14.a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
    Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    That works great if you're a doctor, and he wants you to fix him. You may just have to HELP him, by taking him to a doctor.

Using your analogy, when his leg is fixed, he doesn't need a doctor any more.

Jun 19, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    I assume this is an analogy correct?
    For sure. This is an analogy and it had come from her .
    Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 10:34 AM

Dontcha hate being fixed? Do you feel you need fixing??

Jun 19, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BriannaLeighx3 View Post
    1.a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
    2.a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
    3.sexual passion or desire.
    4.a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
    5.(used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
    6.a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
    7.sexual intercourse; copulation.
    8.(initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
    9.affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
    10.strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
    11.the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
    12.the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
    13.Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
    14.a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
    Wonderful list, thanks.

I have heard people saying that they have/had great sexual relationship but they are/were not in love with their partner. They are/were living with their partners and relationship is/was great but the love is/was missing. Then where is love? Why is/did love not kick in?
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 10:44 AM

Sex is sex. You do NOT have to love someone to have great sex with them. Love is more about emotional feelings than physical feelings.
    Alyeska Posts: 44, Reputation: 0

Jun 19, 2009, 10:50 AM

Love is when you are obsessed with one person, think about them all the time and can do anything for them. You worry about them.There is no true explanation for love because it causes different feelings in many people.

Jun 19, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyeska View Post
    Love is when you are obsessed with one person, think about them all the time and can do anything for them. You worry about them.There is no true explanation for love because it causes different feelings in many people.
    Thanks Alyeska

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

Love in a time of Cholera. How long would you wait for love? [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try and keep this short and to the point. I was in a 7+ year relationship with a man I met while overseas, we fell in love instantly and kept in touch after our brief encounter, till finally we started to plan my trip to his country for a 3 month stay - I was prepared to do it, I was deeply in...

View more questions Search