Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

May 14, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Filing a claim with insurance company, but bank took time signing papers?
    I think this is the write section to put this question in, but, I bought a foreclosure and signed all papers and gave check to the people who took care of closing March 13th. We had a wind storm on the 15th and some of roof was damaged. It turns out the bank did not sign the papers until March 30th. Is their anyway I can file a claim with insurance company. The problem is that they will probably check and see closing date of the 30th. Is their anything I can do since the bank got their money on the 14th and took sweet time on signing papers, so I can get a knew roof.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 16, 2009, 06:06 AM

Hello S:

You either owned the house when the storm happened or you didn't. There's NO in between. I can't tell from your answer WHO owned it when the storm happened... It closed on the 13th, or the 30th. I can't tell which.

However, since it's going to cost somebody some money, I'll bet the bank is going to say YOU owned it. So, file with your insurance company. Their policy was in effect or it wasn't. If they're not legally obligated to pay, they'll tell you.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2009, 06:08 AM

I would look at the effective date of the policy. Even if the ownership was finalized, the policy was written.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 16, 2009, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    ... I'll bet the bank is going to say YOU owned it. So, file with your insurance company. ...
    Yes, and send a copy of your claim to the bank, to be forwarded to their insurance company. Let the two insurance companies sort it out. One or the other is obligated, and you really don't care which pays.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do if my ex files bankruptcy after signing divorce papers? [ 11 Answers ]

I found that my husband is planning to file bankruptcy after he signs divorce papers. What affect will this have on the contents of the divorce agreement?

The legality of the birth mother signing adoption papers under the influence of crack [ 3 Answers ]

Is an adoption legal in the state of Florida if the birth mother signed papers giving her son to the child's stepmother while under the influence of crack cocaine? My sisiter was told that she would be given back the child once she became clean and sober. The reason the stepmother said she wanted...

Filing abandonment papers against daughters father [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about filing abandonment papers against my daughters father who has had no contact with her for over 3 years, so that when my new boyfriend and I get married he can legally adopt her?

Untimely filing stated by insurance company [ 8 Answers ]

I had surgery last summer of 2006 and gave my insurance info the first Dr's office visit, I just recently got in the mail a bill totaling $7735.00 for the operation. I called the collection agency and said I have insurance and why was I getting a bill, come to find out the billing agency for my Dr...

View more questions Search