Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadreamer22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Paying child support and parental rights?
    I was wondering if my daughters father signed over his rights does that mean that he doesn't have to pay any support. Right now he hasn't paid anything but the paperwork for it is a little slow so I was going to ask him to sign over his rights and Im pretty sure he will but I just want to know if he does, will that mean he doesn't have to pay anything. I know that if he doesn't have to pay anything then he will cooperate a little better and I know its in the best interest of my daughter!! Thanks!
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Apr 13, 2009, 11:34 AM

If he gives up all parental rights to the child, he no longer has any legal ties with the child. Meaning he will not have to pay child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2009, 11:40 AM

First, he can't just give up his rights. Only a court can terminate parental rights and courts arer very reluctant to grant a TPR. Generally they will only do so to clear the way for an adoption or if the parent is a danger to the child.

You don't have to ask for child support if you don't want to, but if you ask for state support they will require it.

I also don't understand you thinking he will cooperate if his rights are terminated. If he rights are terminated there is nothing to cooperate with.

State laws do differ, some states terminate both rights and responsibilities, others only rights. But a court will not grant a TPR just to allow the parent out of paying support.

So you need to think differently.

Apr 13, 2009, 11:44 AM

I misunderstood then, I thought she was meaning he was giving up rights to another person(i.e. new husband adopting). If that is the case; he has no more obligation to pay any new child support, only backed child support.

Apr 13, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeBel View Post
    I misunderstood then, I thought she was meaning he was giving up rights to another person(i.e. new husband adopting). If that is the case; he has no more obligation to pay any new child support, only backed child support.
    Nothing was mentioned about adoption. She only wanted to get him to "cooperate" more.
    cadreamer22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, he can't just give up his rights. Only a court can terminate parental rights and courts arer very reluctant to grant a TPR. Generally they will only do so to clear the way for an adoption or if the parent is a danger to the child.

You don't have to ask for child support if you don't want to, but if you ask for state support they will require it.

I also don't understand you thinking he will cooperate if his rights are terminated. If he rights are terminated there is nothing to cooperate with.

State laws do differ, some states terminate both rights and responsibilities, others only rights. But a court will not grant a TPR just to allow the parent out of paying support.

So you need to think differently.
    I have talked to 2 different lawyers and if he is willing to give up his rights then it is possible and he has already cooperated with a lot so Im not sure what you mean. Especially if I have a lawyer then it will help things go a little smoother, if not he is an unfit dad and deals drugs so Im not worried either way his rights will get terminated! Thanks for your advice I do appreciate it!

Apr 13, 2009, 12:54 PM

So are you saying he is signing over all rights as a parent, or signing over full custody to you?

Apr 13, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadreamer22 View Post
    I have talked to 2 different lawyers and if he is willing to give up his rights then it is possible and he has already cooperated with a lot so Im not sure what you mean. Especially if I have a lawyer then it will help things go a little smoother, if not he is an unfit dad and deals drugs so Im not worried either way his rights will get terminated! Thanks for your advice I do appreciate it!
    Frankly, I would run from any lawyers that are telling you that you can get his rights terminated. They are just looking to soak you for billable hours.

It is VERY difficult to get a TPR, even a voluntary one unless its to clear the way for an adoption or because the parent is a danger to the child. Dealing drugs might help, but I doubt it. More likely it will allow you to get supervised visitation rather than a termination of rights. A court is not going to grant a TPR to allow the parent to get out of paying support. So, if the laws of your state do allow for a TPR, then it will not affect his responsibility to support the child.

What you should be going after is sole legal and physical custody. You might be willing to grant supervised vists, but nothing more. You are more likely to get that than a TPR.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2009, 07:51 PM

Yes, you may get all vists taken away except for supervised if he is a threat to the child, he may sign that he does not want any visits and you have full legal and physical custody and he is asking for none, but that is not signing his rights away.

It is next to impossible to do that without some cause.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeBel View Post
    So are you saying he is signing over all rights as a parent, or signing over full custody to you?

Why? It doesn't matter. Unless the word "adoption" appears in the post, this is immaterial.

We take great pride in our answers here - and we all learn something every now. Some of us do great research, work in the field of Law, have a legal education. Please, if you are going to post the Law, be ready to back it up and make sure you are correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights and child support [ 3 Answers ]

I am 26 years old and 8 moths pregnant. My husband ran out on me one month after we were married for another girl. Almost 9 years younger than himself. He left me and my 3 year old with a years lease on the house and no way to pay bills. He is living with his mother, his gay friend, and his bi...

Parental rights and child support [ 7 Answers ]

My son's father lives in MO and I live in TX. He has made no effort to be a father yet he won't give up his rights to him and won't pay child support. I believe he is about to go to jail for possession of narcotics is there anyway I can take his rights away from him and still get the back child...

Parental Rights and Child Support [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I have read most of the questions and answers already but still I have a few questions. So here goes. I live in PA and I am going through a custody battle with my ex boyfriend. He was able to obtain emergency custody by lying in court w/o me present. Now, I had to move into a domestic...

Paying Child Support After Giving Up Rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been ordered to pay child support for his child that is 10 years old now for the past 7 years just about he never is able to see his son and it has come to be the easiest thing right now would be to give his rights up. When I spoke with a woman at the States Attorneys Office in Il...

Child support and parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently responsible for paying child support for my daughter, which is actually putting me in the hole every month, for only seeing her two or four hours a month. In Florida, can you give up your parental rights and child support? How long would it be until you could see your child?...

View more questions Search