Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rissypooh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 01:47 PM
    My adopted dog is'nt eating or drinking, and shakes in his sleep.
    I know there are a lot of other questions like this,but none of them really give me the correct information I hope to find.Maybe you all can help or come up with suggestions to help.

My family and I just adopted a 3 year old dog from an animal hospital two and a half weeks ago.He was taken in as a stray , but had tags for shots from 2006.We got him up to date on all his vaccines, and have been going to the vet for a couple of days to makes sure he's doing fine. He got very used to my home and my family and was eating fine.My vet had him on a special diet since his tummy wasn't feeling so good, but now he won't eat any of the food the vet has given us. He won't drink water, and won't eat ice, we've tried putting pedalite popsicles in the water and he still won't go near his bowls. I do have a feeling he was abused by his previous owners, but he's such a sweet little dog. I don't know how to help him, Ive given him white chicken , and I steamed him up rice but he still won't touch his food at all, its been two days now, and starting to dehydrate. On top of that, he's starting to do weird shakes and make crying noises in his sleep... and he;s very very tired all the time. He's a lap dog so I expect him to be a bit lazy and easy going, but he hasn't even barked at the neighbor hood dogs since he's stopped eating.

Anyone know how to deal with this? Please any suggestions would help greatly! :confused:
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Jan 8, 2009, 02:08 PM

It could be many things my dog makes noise and kind of looks like he's running in his sleep. I thought maybe he just didn't like the new food, but since you've tried real chicken I'm not sure what the deal is. When I hear of shaking I think of a sezuire. However if the dog is lathargic (laying around all the time) I would definitely take him back to the vet they may need to do some blood work or something. Good Luck!
    rissypooh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks:) yeah I'm just ubber worried because we've gotten so attatched already.

Jan 8, 2009, 02:15 PM

I think since the food change he probably doesn't like it, therefore his tummy is even more upset, causing him to lay around and be tired due to not enough vitamins, but I would check with the vet as soon as you can, and keep and eye on him, wish you and your baby good luck
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 02:20 PM

I wish I could give you a definite answer, but there are too many possibilities and all I could do is guess.

You really need to get him to a vet, not eating or drinking for 2 days isn't good and he can go downhill pretty quick.

It could be that he's had a reaction to the food. Dogs can suffer allergies just like we can, but the fact that he won't touch any kind of food has me worried.

Please keep us posted, let us know how he's doing, he's lucky to have found such a wonderful new home. :)

Apr 9, 2009, 11:11 AM

Just curious how is your doggie, did he make it all right?
    kaspernator Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 02:38 PM

I just joined, today, and my dog has addisions.
    We had to act quick or she would have died/
    It sounds just like what you went through.
    I was wondering what happened to your dog.
    andrewx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rissypooh View Post
    thanks:) yeah im just ubber worried cos we've gotten so attatched already.
    Just pay very close attention to him and give him lots of love and make him comfortable.:) andrew cordell
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 12, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewx View Post
    just pay very close attention to him and give him lots of love and make him comfortable.:) andrew cordell
    I know you are new Andrew. Just a few tips. Please pay attn. to dates of questions before you answer, (this one was asked 3 months ago) and try to read through the answers given. It will help you a lot with answering questions here. :)
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2009, 12:52 PM
    :(
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 14, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Bless your heart for taking him in and giving him a chance!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adopted puppy not eating and sleeping a lot [ 7 Answers ]

We just adopted a Shih Poo, she is only 2.8lbs and about 14 weeks (estimated by animal rescue). We brought her home on Sunday and everything seemed fine but by Monday she started with the runny stool, Tuesday I took in a sample to be tested for parasites. On Wednesday it still was not better but...

Not eating or drinking [ 5 Answers ]

My small dog is not eating and I cannot get her to drink anything. Any suggestions as to What may be wrong or how I can remedy this?

My Old Dog Quit Eating And Drinking [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm starting to panic here! My 7 year old rattier dog quit eating and drinking and I think it's because he's jealous of the new 2 month old beagle puppy, but I don't know how to get him to start eating and drinking again! Now he won't eat and drink at all I've tried and tried to get him to...

New puppy not eating or drinking [ 12 Answers ]

We got a new 8 week old Malte-Poo Puppy yesterday, brought her home and she had plenty of energy, was eating, drinking, urinating and pooping regularly. Today however she still has plenty of energy but will not eat or drink. She has urinated 4 times and pooped 2 times. Should we be concerned? I...

Dog stroke-HELP not eating or drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I dog just had what the vet says is a stroke. I heard they will recover within weeks but at the moment she is not eating and taking water via a plastic syringe. Anyting we can do to help her dizzyness, tilted head and lack or appetite? Please help John

View more questions Search