Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Apr 8, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Exercise and pregnancy: is it safe?
    I had a spin class instructor that worked out with us until she was a week out from delivery. Is it safe to do really strenuous(sorry for spelling) activity while pregnant?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 08:23 AM

It will be very individual. If you are in good condition, and used to regular exercise, most women can continue throughout pregnancy at least to some degree. Sometimes they may need to alter the intensity depending on what they are doing. It is not the time to start a stenuous type program however, if you aren't used to it.

You will need to listen to your body... pay attention to your heartrate and respiration... watch your joints, which may be more prone to injury in pregnancy due to the hormone relaxin... and watch that you are taking in adequate amounts of fluids.

Certainly check with your midwife or doctor as certain conditions in pregnancy may warrant a more substantial change in your exercise routine.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 08:54 AM
    As always, I agree with all that doulalc said. Her advice is golden. Solid.

My partner was quite active throughout much of her pregnancy, and focused especially on strengthening her core (back, abs, hips, etc)... and I think it really helped her late term (still had a "trick" hip, but that commonly happens when the body is preparing for delivery...

Your body produces relaxin, which causes the ligaments at the joints to loosen, to stretch, to prepare for the birth. The downside is that this can mean weakened joints, esp. at the hips and late term.

Another issue with this (looser joints) is that you might find you have a wider range of motion than you did before the pregnancy, but you need to understand that you should stay within your prepreg. Range to avoid injury. Deep joint and muscle movements might be something to avoid, and issues of balance can manifest later...

So, as mentioned, always talk to your med provider about your specific situation. He or she will consider any conditions that might put you at higher risk... but again, my wife was very active throughout the first half to 2/3rds of the pregnancy, and then she changed her workouts on the backside to accommodate what her body could take.

Strengthening your abs and your back makes good sense. And don't forget about good old kegels for strengthening the pelvic floor.

We worked with a certified nurse midwife for her pregnancy, and in addition to recommended exercises we practiced meditation, breathing exercises, and visualization exercises. We also read about ways to minimize back labor through pelvic tilts, as her first childbirth had an extended period of back labor... with the second, she started having back labor, but was able to get the baby to turn much sooner through pelvic tilts. I know this last part strays some from the OP'd question, but I considered the mind-body connection important for her physical response.

Congratulations.
    CallMeBel Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Apr 8, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    we worked with a certified nurse midwife for her pregnancy, and in addition to recommended exercises we practiced meditation, breathing exercises, and visualization exercises. we also read about ways to minimize back labor through pelvic tilts, as her first childbirth had an extended period of back labor... with the second, she started having back labor, but was able to get the baby to turn much sooner through pelvic tilts. i know this last part strays some from the OP'd question, but i considered the mind-body connection important for her physical response.

congradulations.

Thanks for all the advice, it helps a lot! I am def. going to read up on pelvic tilts, thaks a lot for that suggestion.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 09:23 AM
    Honestly, the idea behind the tilts isn't complicated. We had a book, really more of a pamphlet, written by a woman who was a physicist. She looked at the vectors of trying to deliver with the child turned wrong... the angles, pressure applied, what that pressure causes (delivery or pain)... and the simple result that we walked away from it all was this.

When my love was pregnant the first time, she was 20, single, and uneducated. She was all but strapped down to the bed. I firmly believe this immobility is what caused her hours and hours of back labor.

With our son, we would have none of it. She was mobile, she got up and walked in the room a little, and she changed the angle of her pelvis (while on the bed, on "all fours" until our son turned. It took less than 45 minutes to get this to happen.

Some call pelvic tilts the "angry cat"... think of how a threatened cat will be on all fours and arch its back, drawing its rear down and under... you breathe in and engage your abs on the arch motion, and then relax and breathe out on the return... repeat...
    SDGRIFFIN Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Yes if you worked out before you got pregnant then you can continue but don't push it if you get uncomfortable or pain anywere its best to stop what you are doing. My mom did horse back riding all the time before she got pregnant with me and her doctor told her that since her body was used to it that she could continue. Listen to your body it will let you know if you are working it to hard. I worked out until I was 8 months pregnant doing cardio and pilates.. Had to stop due to hip problem occurring good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy or exercise cause [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to conceive from last 2yrs. Today my periods are 5 days late. I do exercise to a day . Would that affect my periods or I'm pregnant in real. Help me out:confused:

When is it safe to take another pregnancy test? [ 1 Answers ]

I took a pregnancy test about four days ago and it was negative. But I'm not convinced that I am not pregnant. So if I took one four days later would it be more accurate? ( my period is due any day now. So before I think I tested to early.) I feel pregnant. I have had head aches, spotting, dizzy...

Pregnancy exercise suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good pregnancy exercises to do that are safe and effective? Thanks

Is this medication safe in pregnancy? [ 17 Answers ]

I have been suffering with some congestion/allergy sinus crap lately, and my hubby picked me up this new medicine that helps with all of the above. I don't know much about the ingredients and wanted to make sure that it was safe in case we are pregnant. We have been trying, and I'm in a waiting...

View more questions Search