Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atl30 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 05:23 PM
    Changing from red to light golden brown
    My hair in naturally dark brown, I have for the past 2 yrs had my hair dyed red. It hasn't been re-dyed since sept/oct 2008 and I want to take the leftover red out and go to a light golden brown, I also have natural red highlights. How woulld I go about doing so? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Mar 5, 2009, 12:32 PM

Ooh this could be a little tricky. The only way to get this out would be by bleaching it till it goes to the blonde shade you want. But you might need to bleach it a few times, because of all the dye, it builds up into the hair, and all those layers need to be stripped out along with your natural colour.

Please, please do visit a colourist to do this for you. X
    arnimal7 Posts: 96, Reputation: 11

Mar 7, 2009, 02:01 AM

Red is a tricky color. Red is the most quick color to fade however red is the hardest to get rid of. And now that you havw grown a lot of it out you have to becareful that you don't end up with different tones. The first thing you need to do is figure out how light you want your golden blonde? Then figure out do you want it all over or highlights? If you were in my chair I would do a strand test to determine how light I can get it or if I can get it to determined level. Also remember this might take more than once to do. I would personally go to a professional and get a consaltatioin first. Then you will know where you stand. Good luck
    sandybythebeach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 11:10 AM
    For starters I would combine half a medium natural brown hair color with half a medium ash brown hair color. Use a non permanent hair color by Natural Instincts so you can see the results without damaging your hair. It will last for up to 24 shampoos. If you are satisfied with the results then use a permanent hair color or continue with the semi permanent hair color. You can add more ash and less natural tone depending on your personal choice. Bleaching or any color removals with damage your hair. As you continue to dye your new growth and pull the color through the ends the last 5-10 minutes at the end of your root processing your hair will reach the color you desired. It will take a few months to achieve this with patience. It will not come out the way you intended 100% the first time you put the color in, but close to it. Hope this has been some help to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going from blonde to dark golden blonde/light brown? [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya, I have got blue eyes and olive skin, and blonde hair ( which is rather yellow) it has been highlighted before, but then had just a blonde colour put over it a while go. Anyway, I'm getting a bit fed up of the yellowy ness, and wanting to go dark blonde or light brown? First which do you...

Med Red Hair to Med Golden Brown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the best way to get Med. Golden Brown hair if my hair is Red without the color coming out color coming out orange? Would it be necessary to strip the red out first? Thank you

From light golden brown w/ highlights to a darker brown [ 3 Answers ]

I know this seems like the easiest hair dye project out there.. but my question is about base colors and levels... My friend has light brown/golden hair with highlights and she wants a darker brown. She had it dyed and it wasn't dark enough for her, and it faded pretty fast. My other friend had...

Changing black hair to light brown pweazeeee! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I need serious help. A while ago I tried changing my hair from black to blonde and did about 7 processes.. Still didn't get the color I wanted so I went to the hair salon and let them fix it so they put bleach and left me under the dryer for a long time... When I came out they washed my hair...

View more questions Search