Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vixen527 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2004, 09:05 PM
    How do I give a puppy a vacanation myself?
    HI... I rescued 2 little pit bull puppies :D . I'm broke so I'm trying to save money in areas were it is possible. I was told that you could do the vaccanations yourself. I just ordered the correct ones (same as my vet would have given them) off the internet for $3 each instead of $25 each plus an office visit. Just was wondering if any one that has done this could give me advice on how to do it? For example the location? :confused:

Thank You,
    Debbie
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2004, 05:25 AM
    That is a bold step, one that I have never taken. I have watched my vet do it, and it looks easy. He gives the shots under the loose skin of the neck.

It is a shame the puppies only chance is with somebody spread so thin. Maybe somebody here can be more helpful that I can. It would be great if resources and pets were in better balance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 3, 2004, 06:29 AM
    How do I give a puppy a vacanation myself?
    Hi Debbie,
    You may not be alone and there may be more help out there then you realize.
    Look in your local phone book or the internet for animal rescue groups in your area, some even specialize in different breeds. They will take care of vacations, vet exams, neutering and in some cases even microchipping. Six months ago after losing my Maltese of 16 years I adopted Bandit a 4 year old Shih Tzu from a rescue group called Canine Castaways. These groups are great. I now volenteer some of my time to this group. Tomorrow Canine Castaways is throwing a Christmas Party at a public park for dogs and their owners. Bandit is signed up for the kissing booth. I congratulate you on wanting to help and urge you to seek out a rescue group in your area. Meantime listen to Labman. He's the authority on dogs, I just love them!!
    Good luck, Tom
    SAVING ONE PET WON'T CHANGE THE WORLD BUT IT WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOR THAT
    ONE PET.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2004, 08:05 AM
    Yeah, look around for help locally. Even if all you got was an experienced person to show you how, that could be a big difference. I have watched my vet. It looks easy.
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2004, 09:10 PM
    Giving Vaccinations
    Hi.
    I am a vet tech, so I can help you out a bit with giving those vaccines. First, you want to be very careful about buying vet products online. They are often counterfeit items, made to look like the real vet product, but can have dangerous ingredients, etc in them. Also, vaccines must be kept refrigerated in order for them to be good, and these online companies that sell these cheap often do not refrigerate or ship to standand. Most veterinarians don't "count" vaccines that are bought and given by owners. The Rabies vaccine is required by law, usually starting around 12 -14 weeks of age. As far as I know, though, you cannot buy this yourself as it must be given by a license LVT or vet.
    Also, nearly all puppies have worms, so it is very important to give them dewormers (Pyrantel) to clear them out. Dewormers can be bought over the counter at pet and feed stores.
    Also, be sure the puppies don't have fleas. They can get tapeworms from fleas, and can get other serious problems such as anemia if the fleas go unchecked.
    As for giving the vaccines, they are just given right under the skin. The best place is between the shoulder blades, as this is not a very sensitive area for needle sticks. If you pull up on the skin, you'll feel that the loose skin forms a "tent." Just stick the needle in the tent, parallel with the back, and administer the vaccine. Make sure not to stick the muscle or go all the way through the "tent" as the vaccine will come out the other side.
    I agree, though, that your best bet is to find a rescue or somewhere that can take the puppies and get them the full vet care that they need.
    Good luck. These puppies are very lucky to have found someone that is willing to help them out. Hope things turn out well for you! :D
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2004, 09:29 PM
    Thank you for your answer. I have a lot of experience socilizing young dogs, but am not so pressed for money as to feel I have to do shots. Others would be better off if you stick around and cover my lack of medical knowledge.
    wyld rose Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2004, 07:36 PM
    Just backing up something tiger said, while the main reason for vaccination is of course the health of the animal (and underline his post about counterfeit evil fake stuff from the net), if you want to be able to use a pet hostel any decent place won't take your pet unless they have their vaccination certificates. Just something to think about...
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2004, 07:59 PM
    That's right. Never leave your pet anywhere they don't demand proof of immunizations. The younger, the more so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I Give Up? [ 9 Answers ]

I am in recovery for alcoholism, have been sober for about 16 months. It's been hard but the best thing I have ever done. I have been struggling with a relationship with a man also in the Program. We are told in the Program to let go and let God. I try to do this but can't seem to let go on this...

What could I give my dog? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my red healer dog has a swollen snout and not sure what bite him, it looks like he doesn't feel good, just kind of walking slow and his eyes are kind of red. Is there anything I could give him here at home??

I give up [ 15 Answers ]

This has bee a horrible year! I thought that I got through the worst, but today I want to give up. I have an adult daughter. We were always so close, in fact, we were best friends. She was engaged.In June they broke the engagement, over the phone, due to a fight about where they would live. He...

I give up [ 8 Answers ]

This has bee a horrible year! I thought that I got through the worst, but today I want to give up. I have an adult daughter. We were always so close, in fact, we were best friends. She was engaged.In June they broke the engagement, over the phone, due to a fight about where they would live. He...

I give up [ 3 Answers ]

View more questions Search