Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coryz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 11:02 PM
    Standpipe backup, moving in 1 week!
    Hello! Thank you for all of the advice you are giving others, it has helped me greatly!
    I was reading about a young man who was installing a new washing machine, and was going to raise the standpipe to 62 inches. Was this to compensate for the stronger pump? This is because we are having the same problem. Our outflow on the washer is at the top of the machine, not the bottom. I would think that we should raise the standpipe accordingly. We have had the plumber clean out all drains, and are now on our third hose. The hose we have on now is standard for our model, and is very wide. It lets so much water through, it is spitting back out and onto the floor! The standard hose is about 4 feet long, but we have the washing machine turned for space-saving, therefore the standpipe is on the machine's right. If we turned the washing machine flush with the standpipe, would the extra length of hose be for adding height to the standpipe? Ours is at 45 inches from the floor now. Should we raise to 62?
    Thank you!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2006, 05:06 AM
    With the stronger more forceful washer pumps this is becoming a problem, especially with stand pipes and traps that are 1 1/2". I was faced with the same problem in my 51 year old home. I solved the problem by installing a compression fitting,(see image). This fitting fits over the stand pipe and compresses over the hose to make a water tight connection so no leaks are possible. Sound like a plan? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry standpipe overflow [ 10 Answers ]

The standpipe that our washing machine drains into recently started overflowing. It's only a small amount at a time, creating a tiny puddle that runs in front of the machine. It seems to happen during the rinse cycle. There's no noticeable odor or sudsing. Any idea what could be causing this...

Wall standpipe overflow [ 3 Answers ]

The wall standpipe for my 10 year old washer machine overflows as the washer discharges water during the cycle. This problem only happened very recently. I tried to run the snake down the pipe but it only went about 2 feet and couldn't go any further. I also noticed the pipe is very rusty as I...

Rooftop Standpipe perhaps? [ 6 Answers ]

I have read through most of the plumbing problems and haven't seen exactly my situation, so here goes. Here are the facts as best as I can describe. Block home built in 1968 as 2 bdr. 1 bath Addition of a bedroom and additional bath circa 1978 (fireplace too.. another issue) Secondary...

New washing machine discharge standpipe [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm putting in a new washing machine tomorrow, and would like to ask how much higher should the standpipe be? I am including a link with 2 pictures of how it is presently.(I have moved the electrical receptacle). In the picture, the distance from the top of the standpipe to the bottom of the...

Taping Into a Washer's Standpipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, just wondering if I can install an in-floor drain that taps into the standpipe drain I already use for my first-floor washing machine. The standpipe runs directly behind, then underneath the washer (underneath the floor board)--there's room enough to work under there--I checked. I want...

View more questions Search