Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortandsmall Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 11:00 AM
    perfect cubes?
    how do you find the perfect cubes of a number? Is there a trick or something? Thanks a ton =]:)
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 02:15 PM

Take the number to the one-third (1/3) power on a scientific calculator like the one below.
    First, enter the number you wish to take the cube root of, then hit the y to x power button, then enter cube root as 0.3333333, then hit y to the x power again.
    Or in Excel, enter the number you want the cube root of, in a cell (say in A1). Then put this formula in another cell: = A1^(1/3)
    You can also take one third of the logarithm of the number you want the cube root of, for anyone that remembers how to do logarithms.
    Scientific Calculator
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 08:33 AM

Shortandsmall - please clarify your question. The cube of number is simply that number raised to the third power (the number times itself times itself again). A "perfect cube" is a number that is a cube of an integer - thus 1, 8, 27, 64,. are perfect cubes because they are equal to 1 cubed, 2 cubed, 3 cubed, 4 cubed etc. So it's not that you "find the perfect cube of a number" as your question suggests, but rather that some numbers are perfect cubes. To see if a number is a perfectr cube, you can take its cube root as Smearcase describes and see if you get an integer. There are a couple of tricks to test numbers for their "cubeness" - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_(arithmetic)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ice Cubes [ 1 Answers ]

Have a strange question here; I used to freeze ordinary tap water for making my ice cubes, a few weeks ago I started freezing store bought Mineral water for my ice cubes (well known and expensive brand), however as the ice cubes melt in the water, they leave behind a white powdery substance in...

Cubes and Scaling [ 1 Answers ]

A cube 10 cm on a side is cut into cubes 5 cm on a side. (a) How many cubes result? (b) What is the surface area of original cube? What is the total surface area of smaller cubes? What is the ratio of surface areas? (c) Find the surface to volume ratio of the original cube. Find the surface...

Making ice cubes [ 2 Answers ]

Other than using little trays filled with water and placed in the freezer, is there any way of getting cubed or crushed ice without too much cost ?

Bad Tasting Ice cubes [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I moved into a condo. After a week or so I noticed bad smelling water when first turned on. I was so excited to have ice maker but the ice cubes taste horrible. The previous owner remodeled kitchen and put washer and dryer in a utility closet that is located next to the refrigerator...

Cubes in algebra 2 [ 4 Answers ]

does anyone know how to multiply (2x-1 )cubed/(2x-1)^3

View more questions Search