Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harness4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
    99 Powerstroke glow plugs
    I have a 99 ford f-250 and the glow plugs do not work, I have replaced both relays and removed one bank of glow plugs to inspect and according to Fords chart they look fine. When you try to start the truck the lights come on like they are suppose to and the lights dim like there is a power draw from the glow plugs but they seem to not work. If you leave the truck plugged in over night it fires up like you never had a problem, but I shouldn't have to do this unless the outside temp is low.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Aug 28, 2008, 08:57 AM
    The only way to make sure your glow plugs are working fine is to use a multi meter and check for continuity,no continuity the glow plugs are fried.. ;)
    evergreenst25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by harness4
    I have a 99 ford f-250 and the glow plugs do not work, I have replaced both relays and removed one bank of glow plugs to inspect and according to Fords chart they look fine. When you try to start the truck the lights come on like they are suppose to and the lights dim like there is a power draw from the glow plugs but they seem to not work. If you leave the truck plugged in over night it fires up like you never had a problem, but I shouldn't have to do this unless the outside temp is low.
    Check the wiring harness between the glow plugs on each bank. I had the one on the right bank go bad, and it was not readily apparent from looking (broken wire inside the insulation) and so that bank was not heating at all.
    baldboss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harness4
    My friend had this same issue with his 99 and it was a computer issue cost around 200 to fix at the ford dealer.
    fordexpert Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Take a test light and hook the alligater clip side to positive, yes, positive. Then ground the outside of the glow plug (maybe by the threads). Then, touch the probe end of the test light on the terminal of the glow plug. If it doesent light up, its bad. Also, check the wires toe the glow plugs, the glow plugs only come on for 5-10 seconds when you first turn the key. If this doesent work, please write back and let me know, I have many more suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you test Glow plugs in a 7.3L ford [ 4 Answers ]

How do you test Glow plugs in a 7.3L ford? It doesn't want to start when it's cold. The wait to start light stays on for a while, so I think the plugs are working, but when it's could I can hear a humming noise coming from the passenger side of the motor. Could there be a falut with a relay, or...

Ford F250 glow plugs [ 2 Answers ]

My 1997 Ford F250 Turbo diesel will not shart in cold weather unless it is plugged in. I was told it needed glow plugs;replacing them is "easy" they said! Well I got them and can't figure out how to change them. Any advice or clues or directions would be appreciated. Thanks, GAye

Glow plugs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1997 ford power stroke and I am replacing the glow plugs. I have the valve covers off and the electrical contact off and there is a small square plate how does that come off.

Changing diesel glow plugs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 f250 super duty truck with a 7.3 diesel engine and I need to change the glow plugs but do not even know how or where they are located

1999 F-350 Glow plugs. [ 2 Answers ]

How long should it take me to change my glow plugs? And is the a good manule to look at?

View more questions Search