Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Codylover101 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2008, 10:17 PM
    My sister was elbowed in the ribs and is now getting a sharp pains any tips?
    Earlier today my sister was elbowed in the ribs by my other sister. Like a few minutes later she had sharp pains in her ribs, her lungs and stomach. What could be wrong? Could something be broken? Please help I'm very worried!! Anything helps!! :(:confused:
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 8, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Codylover101 View Post
    Earlier today my sister was elbowed in the ribs by my other sister. Like a few minutes later she had sharp pains in her ribs, her lungs and stomach. What could be wrong? Could something be broken? Please help im very worried!!! Anything helps!!!:(:confused:
    Might have a broken rib. Should go to the emergency room and have a doctor take a look.

I tell you what happened to me several years ago... fell off a horse... got bucked off anyway... hit the ground wrong... and broke 5 ribs. Hurt so bad could hardly breathe. Went to the hospital and they did tests... to the tune of $3000... and determined my lungs were not punctured... and that was all they could do. I had to sleep sitting up for 3 months because it was too painful to lay down to sleep... and was off work that whole time.

When you have broken ribs there is nothing they can do for you but make sure your lungs are not punctured... then give you pain pills and you have to take it easy till they are healed.
    Codylover101 Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Thank u for the answer. I am very sorry about what happened to you I just hope that won't happen to my sister!:o
    medivac Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2008, 10:46 PM

There are a number of things that can cause the pain. Starting with the least serious could be just bruising of the soft tissue around the ribs or fractured ribs. If there is progressing shortness of breath then there could be what is called spontaneous pneumothorax - which is where a small portion of the lung was weak (bleb) and the lung is perforated causing air to leak into the chest cavity. This is very serious and should be taken care of immediately. This could cause pressure on the heart, decending aorta, and eventually cause death. Wouldn't hurt to have an x-ray done to confirm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharp pains during sex [ 16 Answers ]

Recently during sex I have been getting some odd, sharp pains. It seems to be in my upper pelvic region usually on the left side. Now, my boyfriend thankfully has a very large penis so I do sometimes get sore and have pain when he gets too deep but this is different from anything I've felt. I'm...

Sharp pains in head [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 17 year old girl. About two weeks ago I went to the hospital because I was having a constant headache. I mean seriously, it didn't go away for 2 weeks. So, the doctors did a cat scan on my head, and everything came back fine. And I haven't sufferd from any head injuries lately(atleast not...

Sharp pains. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm almost 22 weeks pregnant and I have been having sharp pains all over my stomach.. my dr isn't a help at all and he makes me mad at time.. he also told me that I have a growth on my utures and don't know what it could be.. me and my fiancée are worried that something is wrong with the baby...

Sharp stabbing pains [ 4 Answers ]

I have sharp stabbing pains in my lower left abdomen usually right before my period or when I'm running or right after sex. The pains are so intense I curl up in a little ball not wanting to move cause when I move one single muscle anywhere it hurts so bad I want to scream. I also have lower back...

View more questions Search