Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jilldalil Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Custody of a child at age 14
    What age can a child decide which parent they want to live with in the state of IOWA
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Actually the children don't decide, however, the judge will listen to all parties concerned (mother, father, children) and make a decision based on the best interest of the child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2008, 11:46 AM

At NO age can a child decide who they want to live with. In all states the decision is made by a Family Court judge based on what they feel is the best interests of the child.

The judge will listen to what the child wants. But the judge will make the ulitmate decision.

In any case, a petition has to be filed by one of the parents to modify the custody agreement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

Child custody of an unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My question is concerning my sister, she moved to this state I live in now, only a year ago,to live with me, she got pregnant by some guy she was seeing, when he started beating her up she left him,(she was only 2 months pregnant at this time) now she's 7 months pregnant and we are moving back...

Child Custody [ 6 Answers ]

My partner is currently pregnant and her ex-boyfriend wants to take away the baby. She doesn't want to ask for any child support but she know and is aware that he has to be apart of the babies life. We have both tried talking to him, to let him know that he is going to be a part of the baby, but he...

View more questions Search