Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snapdragon Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Aug 31, 2008, 02:59 PM
    What's love got to do with it?
    The topic is:

Monogamy

Opinions and thoughts? Is it needed? Is it something society invented? Pros and cons, let me know what you think.

snapdragon
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 31, 2008, 03:29 PM
    If we didn't have any monogamous relationships, we would have a whole society of really unstable people, that believed that trust and promises weren't necessary. The next generation, which in fact is already happening, would grow up with a lot of unscrupulous behaviour and moral standards that would, in a certain ripple effect, create a lot of other immoral behaviour.

Without monogamy, there would be no more united families, and no secure or trusting feelings. I believe that would make people act out in violent and criminal ways, and it would cause chaos. Jealousy is inevitable at some point, and it is a powerful feeling. It is in our personal make up. Some people know how to control it in certain situations, but sooner or later, it will surface in one way or another. People want to believe that there is a person that is faithful to them, and them alone.

I don't believe that manogamy is anything that society has invented at all. I think it is simply a matter of how humans act and react.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 12:13 PM
    I've got to ask here:

Do you mean monogamy as in "each person has only ONE partner, for life" or monogamy as in "don't cheat on your partner after the agreement was that you'd be faithful" or monogamy as in "even though it's okay with BOTH partners in a relationship to look outside the relationship, ALL couples should only be with one partner, either 'ever' or 'at a time'"

Your definition of monogamy is needed before a true discussion can happen.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Two healthy people in a monogamous relationship, don't get STD's.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Unless they were born with it
    Unless they got it from improper use of needles
    Unless they got it from one of the many dental cases that come up over the last 20 years on not proper cleaning of instruments.

And other lists.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 02:04 PM
    I wouldn't want my guy cheating on me! It's me OR don't let the door hit you in the butt and don't come a-knockin' EVER again if you go for someone else!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I wouldn't want my guy cheating on me! It's me OR don't let the door hit you in the butt and don't come a-knockin' EVER again if you go for someone else!
    My question is this, though:

Does monogamy mean ONLY one person EVER?

Does that mean you marry the first person you sleep with, and you are only EVER with that person?

Or does it just mean not "cheating"?

Frankly, I give thanks on a regular basis that I didn't marry the first guy I slept with. Or the second. I loved them, in a way, at the time, but it's NOTHING to what I feel for my husband, and frankly, I would have been unhappy with BOTH of those guys in a lifelong situation.

Can any of you that are claiming monogamy is the best way say that you ONLY slept with your spouse, EVER?

Then, too, you have "serial monogamists"---people who only sleep with one person at a time, but those relationships are short-lived and generally only about sex--not about the caring and understanding and respect that goes with a deeper relationship.

And what about those guys that break up with a girl that loves him, JUST so he can pursue another woman, and then comes back to her--and she TAKES him back? Is that another form of monogamy, since he didn't technically "cheat" on her?

If you're defining monogamy as one-woman, one-man, until death do you part---well, then I'd BETTER not hear you giving advice to someone to leave their partner because then divorce/breaking up isn't feasible unless you ALSO advise them that they should remain abstinent for the rest of their lives.

As I said before---I need a definition of what "monogamy" is before I can tell you what I think about it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Monogamy used to mean, "the state or custom of being married to one person at a time." It now apparently means to have "relatively few partners," one at a time.
    From the Internet.
    snapdragon Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Sep 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
    My reason for this post was simply to get everyone's thought on the subject, I didn't ask looking for a specific answer, nor did I have a specific definition in mind. I wanted to know what it means to you. I also didn't ask if you could let me know if you are male or female, I just find peoples opinions and thought very interesting and insightful.

Thank you to everyone who has answered
    snapdragon
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Monogamous marriage is for raising healthy children.

Other than that... (older people can do what they want, they have earned it! )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Real love or puppy love [ 11 Answers ]

I was wondering if the love I feel for this boy is actually true love. The thing is that I'm only 16 and I have fallen deep for this 17year old boy. We went out for a couple of months and we still talk. He recently told me he still thinks about me and his friend tells me he still likes me. However...

Does Love exist? Is there such thing as love? [ 22 Answers ]

I was wondering what is your opinion or thoughts on this situation, I went through a couple of months ago (in 2006). It was nearing the end of my first year at University, I was dancing on the last night the pub was open; suddenly, I saw a good-looking, kind of modest girl and I got the...

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

Who sings I love to love you baby [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings I love to love you baby

How could this Happen So fast? Love me and then love another? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi This is my exgirlfriend responses in the last weeks I was with here for 4 years the guy she cheated with and she is still with since November 26 2007, He just inherited a large sum of money almost a half of million his mother died and she gets what ever she needs and wants. He is so good to...

View more questions Search