Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannah_nicole Posts: 163, Reputation: 13

Aug 6, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Religion all a hoax?
    Somebody once told me christianity was "invented" to rival pagan holidays such as Easter -pagan fertility celebration (explains why we get eggs at this time of year and not crucifixes.. Also explains the easter bunny, we all know what rabbits are famed for) Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any truth behind this?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Yep, I've read about it, studied it in some material.
    That is why some religions don't celebrate the holidays
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2008, 08:44 AM
    I always Heard Religion is just a way to control the people. I mean think about it How easy is it to scare people. Just tell them they are always being watched by this invisible person. And if they do not do what he has taught them and if they do not follow him they will spend eternity living in fire and will be in pain forever. That would scare the hell(no pun intended) out of people especially back in the dark ages.

Then Think about how they talk about Jesus. God's sent his only son to die for us. Talk about a guilt trip. And it also tugs at the heart Think about your only child dying in a very horrible and evil way. They knew the emotional aspect of it would get people to fall in line.

But I could be wrong doubt it but I could be.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2008, 08:48 AM
    No its not true. What IS true is that Christianity borrowed a lot from other religions, including many pagan festivals. The purpose in doing so was to make Christianity more palatable to the converts. If there were things familiar to worshipers, they would be more inclined to embarce this new religion.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 6, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    No its not true. What IS true is that Christianity borrowed a lot from other religions, including many pagan festivals. The purpose in doing so was to make Christianity more palatable to the converts. If there were things familiar to worshipers, they would be more inclined to embarce this new religion.
    Palatable like: :confused:

Turn the other cheek

Love your enemies

The first will be last, the last will be first

If you lust with your heart -- that is adultery

Take up your cross

Blessed are the poor, meek, persecuted for my name

Hell?

God's only Son dying on the Cross and rising, for the forgiveness of sins. :)
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Aug 6, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Palatable like: 1. festivals are fun. 2. There exists some great magic land in the sky so you don't really ever have to die.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox

God's only Son dying on the Cross and rising, for the forgiveness of sins. :)
    Try reading what I said. The original question was about Christianity being invented. I actually defended it by pointing out the truth of the matter. Do you deny that Chrisitianity co-opted many pagan rituals? Are you saying they didn't do that to make it easier to spread the word? If so, then you don't know the history of your own religion.

Aug 6, 2008, 06:06 PM
    So... christianity stole ideas and stuff from pagans to be popular? Sorry but doesn't that go against everything the bible teaches like if a man is ignorant let him be (sorry can't remember where I've read these corinthians I think) and that if you are persecuted for following jesus you will be rewarded with godly thing - treasures in heaven. Being popular is not the theme of the bible so I thought. And if they stole easter to be popular does that mean its fake? It never happened they just wanted to be popular?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
    No not true at all, sounds like you are listening to people who have no idea what they are talking about

Aug 6, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    no not true at all
    How do you know its not true? Explanation please!
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Aug 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah_nicole
    How do you know its not true? explaination please!
    Careful. Demanding evidence for an unfounded claim is sufficient reason to close a thread around here.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Aug 7, 2008, 01:31 AM
    I think these YouTube videos will answer all your questions.
    YouTube - Explaining why Christianity is FALSE - Take 1 of 3
    YouTube - Explaining why Christianity is FALSE - Take 2 of 3
    YouTube - Explaining why Christianity is FALSE - Take 3 of 3
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 7, 2008, 01:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hannah_nicole
    Somebody once told me christianity was "invented" to rival pagan holidays such as Easter -pagan fertility celebration (explains why we get eggs at this time of year and not crucifixes.. Also explains the easter bunny, we all know what rabbits are famed for) Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any truth behind this?
    Let's agree that Christianity developed over time from Judaism, and that it's focus is specifically on Jesus as the son of "God" (hence the "Christ" from which the name Christianity followed), and on his actions and promisses, instead of solely on the Judean God only.

Yes, Christianity took over a lot of pagan traditions and turned it into Christian festivities. We have no idea when Jesus was really born, but his birthday is celebrated on 25 December, as that was around the time that pagans celebrated their mid-winter solstice.

But you go one step too far when you suggest Christianity was "invented to rival pagan celebrations". They just absorbed (the dates of) these celebrations into their own list of activities. Christianity is in essence identical to any other religion : it is not based on facts but on belief and unscientific "subjective evidence".

:)

·
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 7, 2008, 08:12 AM

Well it certainly answered all of my questions (sarcasm)! SO instead of worshipping and believing in God and Jesus Christ, we should all be worshipping the SUN because everything and every saviour orginated with the SUN. AND the Bible is consistently infering within it's text not to God and Jesus BUT to the SUN! Do I understand that theory correctly? Does anyone think this is more believable than a soveirgn Lord and a personal Saviour?
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Aug 7, 2008, 11:10 AM
    mountain_man
    Think outside the box with me for second on this one. I'm going to assume that you feel all other religions but yours are false and that their gods doesn't exist. Which means that statistically by your own reasoning any one given religion much is more likely to be false than true. Is that correct?

Aug 7, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    mountain_man
    Think outside the box with me for second on this one. I'm going to assume that you feel all other religions but yours are false and that their gods doesn't exist. Which means that statistically by your own reasoning any one given religion much is more likely to be false than true. Is that correct?

I believe that the Bible is true and accurate and that false gods exist everywhere. I believe in one true God and his son Jesus Christ who walked the earth as both God and man and died to save those who believe in Him from eternal darkness/seperation. We are all sinners that need a saviour.

I do not believe that one RELIGION (or doctorine) is more true than another because religions (lutheran, methodist, baptist, etc) have been instituted by man and hold many different beliefs. I believe in the word of God and do question everything I hear in churches and measure it against what is said in the Bible.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Back to the original question. Yes, religion today is a hoax. More of a hoax than the Wizard of Oz from fiction.

A. there is *no proof* that there is any kind of supernatural or supernatural entities such as gods, devils, angels, demons, trolls or whatever.

B. different scriptures contain stories common to each culture such as the universal flood or the man savior. These were common myths thousands of years before the Old Testament or the "Jesus" story emerged.

C. leaders of religions and denominations do not want to unite because they want to preserve and expand their individual power. What is more secular than power seekers?

D. believers are advised to reject knowledge and rationality. Ignorant people will believe anything... especially hoaxes.

Yeah, today, religion is a hoax. :)

But, how to sell and market a large scale hoax? Promise people that death is not final. That if they believe in what is being sold, they will live forever.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Aug 7, 2008, 01:49 PM
    The real hoax is atheism.
    As to the original post: Read the description of the original Church as described in the book of Acts and compare that picture with most of what passes as church today. Note the difference. A good way to identify the true churh out of the inposters. If Jesus is the CENTER of everything, then it is the Church. If not, then it is a hoax and a caricature.

Aug 7, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Back to the original question. Yes, religion today is a hoax. More of a hoax than the Wizard of Oz from fiction.

A. there is *no proof* that there is any kind of supernatural or supernatural entities such as gods, devils, angels, demons, trolls or whatever.

B. different scriptures contain stories common to each culture such as the universal flood or the man savior. These were common myths thousands of years before the Old Testament or the "Jesus" story emerged.

C. leaders of religions and denominations do not want to unite because they want to preserve and expand their individual power. What is more secular than power seekers?

D. believers are advised to reject knowledge and rationality. Ignorant people will believe anything....especially hoaxes.

Yeah, today, religion is a hoax. :)

But, how to sell and market a large scale hoax? Promise people that death is not final. That if they believe in what is being sold, they will live forever.

If all this is some eloborate hoax; Why is the Bible the most read and sold book in the world? And that has nothing to do with religion...

Also "believers are advised to reject knowledge and rationality. Ignorant people will believe anything....especially hoaxes."

Who exactly advises believers to reject knowledge and rationality? And we are now ignorant as well, fascinating

Aug 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    The real hoax is atheism.
    As to the original post: Read the description of the original Church as described in the book of Acts and compare that picture with most of what passes as church today. Note the difference. A good way to identify the true churh out of the inposters. If Jesus is the CENTER of everything, then it is the Church. If not, then it is a hoax and a caricature.

WELL SAID!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Www.skinbleaching.net IS HOAX [ 14 Answers ]

Hi All, This is not a question about skin lightening. I just want to do everybody a favor by letting you know about a business called skinbleaching.net. I am sure many of you have come across this site when you researched on skin lightening products. They sure sound good BUT they will take your...

Hoax or not? [ 4 Answers ]

The email stating that if you get an email titled: "You've received a Post Card" that it is a new virus. Is it true or not?

Is skin lightening a hoax? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there someone really achieved what they were looking for, Michael Jackson has a disease and this is %100 true and I am sure that he had Vitiligo, because it is impossible to kill Melinan and still be alive, the skin is our biggest organ. And all the pics on those websites are just good...

Aliens are real! OR A HOAX! [ 7 Answers ]

On my recent holiday to costa rica I was planning to visit a military base on the island of los santos but it was closed for some strange going ons. Apparently it was meant to be a flying saucer crashing into the building. The damage showed this but no evidence was left behind:eek: I'm not sure...

View more questions Search