Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 05:46 PM
    How Avast reports virusus
    I've been using Avast for about 3 years now. I get pings all the time but I've never had a virus since I start using it. So I've never seen what the thing actually does when it does run across something.

I'm getting a few things showing up when scanning. This started the other day when I updated the database & ran it. But when I hover over the .exe files, it says (in the little yellow box that pops up from the system tray) "\path\ contains sample of xyz virus."

Sample of??

They all say that, or at least the ones that warn me when I hover over them. Since I've never seen Avast actually find a virus, I have no idea what it normally says. But, sample of? Has anyone seen that?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
    I've never used Avast so I can't speak to what's normal. However, you should be able to see Avast in action by feeding it a standard EICAR test file. Copy the following string with no quotes into a plain text file "X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*" and save it. If Avast has real time scanning it should detect it and do it's thing, or detect it when a manual scan is done. Note the resulting file is a DOS executable if given a .com extension.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Well, that took like 3 seconds to test. And yup, it said "sample of" on the warning. That is just too weird.

Which unfortunately means I likely really do have these viruses. Just fabulous. Been a long time, but I guess it had to happen sometime. I found the one at Avast and it's dated only this past Saturday so I guess it snuck in on me.

Sigh! :(
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Bummer. Maybe their update got compromised and is distributing viruses?

Also, you mentioned in your first post about getting pings. Pings from whom? Is your machine sitting out there all alone on the big bad Internet for everyone to poke at without a NATing router ahead of it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AVG vs. Avast vs. Avira [ 2 Answers ]

Which free version of these anti virus programs are the best at detecting and removing viruses on my PC?

Avast! 4 Home Edition - FREE antivirus software? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey guys my AVG has told me that it will no longer be free. So I am now looking for some new FREE antivirus software. I stumbled across avast! 4 Home Edition - FREE antivirus software and I was wondering if it is good or not? If anyone can recommend anything else that would be great to. Thanks.

Reports in VB [ 2 Answers ]

Dear All, I got struck in report stage, Please help " How do i generate reports in VB " ? Send me some examples (code) :confused:

View more questions Search