Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miller11 Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Jul 30, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Identity theft
    What happens when someone steals your social security number to work in the US legally?
    The reason I'm asking is because someone did that to me a couple of years ago. I had gone to apply for unemployment due to a job lay off and while I was giving them my personal information, that's when I found out that some foreign lady was using my social security number to work. I had gone back into the unemployment office later on to ask a question and they told me they had stopped it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 07:28 PM
    It can confuse the iRS since they will be showing more income, so it can mis tings up till it is owrked out
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller11
    What happens when someone steals your social security number to work in the US legally?
    The reason I'm asking is because someone did that to me a couple of years ago. I had gone to apply for unemployment due to a job lay off and while I was giving them my personal information, thats when I found out that some foreign lady was using my social security number to work. I had gone back into the unemployment office later on to ask a question and they told me they had stopped it.

You can end up paying IRS based on her income - until you prove it is not your income because it is posted to your account.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Identity theft is a crime in most places. But the laws vary. The unemployment office probably contacted the police and/or the employer and it was taken care of.

I would try to get a letter from someone stating that they found someone using your SSN. This way, if the IRS ever audits you because of missing W2 income you can show this was taken care of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the punishment for Identity Theft? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is the punishment for Identity Theft? I've looked in the web but I just found old articles... I don't know the actual punishment today. Can somebody help? If you have any source, I'll appreciate it. Thanks

Judgement in Georgia - Identity Theft [ 2 Answers ]

I am a victim of identity theft. Recently, I received a letter stating a default judgement was entered against me. I called the court, they told me to call the attorney for the creditor. The attorney said if I received the letter, it was sent to the same address I was served at. I was NEVER...

Identity theft of her own children! [ 2 Answers ]

I am the step-mother of now grown-up kids 23 and 25. In 2000, their mother opened up credit cards in each of their names without their knowledge and added herself as a signer. In the case of the 23 year old, she knew of the credit card as her mom told her that it was her to use through college for...

Identity theft protection act. [ 2 Answers ]

The Identity Theft Protection Act of ____ requires businesses to secure sensitive data physically and technologically and to notify consumers nationwide when such data is compromised. a.2003 b.2004 c.2005 d.2006 I have already tried Google searching and could not find the answer.

Identity Theft [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently been working with PickWinnersOnline.org. I am very concerned because I have "won" the lottery and now they are asking for banking information to wire transfer the funds into my bank account. All the documentation which they have sent seems OK, however, identitly theft and scams...

View more questions Search