Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Jul 25, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Atheists. Why "religious" forums?
    :confused: Why do so called "atheists" devote countless hours and energy to attempting to disprove and demean religion on "religious" forums? What is their motive behind vehemently deconstructing the Christian faith in particular and propagating their own lack of faith?
    Could it be that they are doing the very thing they claim to hate in religious zealots by persuading others to their viewpoint? Also, why do many of them come across as arrogant and angry with the rest of us who don't share their views?

The interesting thing is that most atheists here would and have likened theism to believing in the "Bogeyman". So I can't help but wonder why one would spend so much time and energy on something they find as ridiculous as a belief in the bogeyman.
    So if religion to atheists is a good as belief in Unicorns and fairy tales, then why spend so much of your free time on it...
    I do not believe in the existence of unicorns, and I don't spend a lot of time trying to deny their existence or even thinking about them because it would counter-productive.
    I got to wondering: just why do atheists spend so much time thinking about God, even if it is in the form of denial?

Could it be that they are hoping someone will engage them in discussion and make a good enough argument that would dissuade them from their atheism, because deep down, they know on a subconscious level that what they are espousing is not truth.
    I don’t know.. that’s just my theory anyway.. But I find it quite perplexing... and ironic.
    What’s really ironic is when an atheists tells me I am trying to shove my beliefs down their throats... wait a minute here….. I am on a religious forum and you came on this forum voluntarily so how am I shoving my beliefs on you? If anyone is "evangelizing" it you the atheist. :cool:

So please any atheists out there please let me know why you have dedicated time and energy to something you deem non -existent.

Just interested to know...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Yeah I wonder just how popular the flying unicorn toaster religion board would go over?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Christianity in America has become a political party engaged in such nasty organized behavior that has to be opposed openly and forcefully by decent Americans.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    So please any atheists out there please let me know why you have dedicated time and energy to something you deem non -existent.
    Religion is not non-existent...

Personally - I'm interested in defending science and evidential inquiry when it is attacked, which often happens in these discussions - hence I keep an eye on it.

I'm also very interested in religion - it's a very intriguing human condition, don't you think? It's something that I don't understand and am eager to learn more about.

I hope this helps.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Not all Christians are into the political mess or even the organized mess that religions have made of it. But it gets bashed openly and forcefully even at the decent Christians.

Jul 25, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Christianity in America has become a political party engaged in such nasty organized behavior that has to be opposed openly and forcefully by decent Americans.
    So you think by coming on a religious forum to harass Christians you are doing some kind of service to society?
    Lol... how is that working for you?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Religion is not non-existent...
    Niether are people who believe in unicorns and aliens etc, but I don't see anyone dedicating their life's free time to disproving them on online forums.

Personally - I'm interested in defending science and evidential inquiry when it is attacked, which often happens in these discussions - hence I keep an eye on it.

I'm also very interested in religion - it's a very intriguing human condition, don't you think? It's something that I don't understand and am eager to learn more about.

I hope this helps.
    If it was a case where athiests come on these forums to learn about religion as a general interest that would be different, however most athiests, it seems, are here to demean religion in an effort to propagate and promote their own beliefs. So are they not as guilty as the "religious zealots" they claim to hate for pushing their beliefs on others? I see it as a for of evangelism.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:56 PM
    This isn't a Christian forum, Einstein. :D

I consider it my *duty and pleasure* to talk rationality and hope against the misled Christians who engage in all manner of political agendas and use lying as a political tactic... activities that are harmful to the citizens of America and to America itself.

It is my *job* while retired.

Have a great weekend,

Jul 25, 2008, 03:18 PM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    This isn't a Christian forum, Einstein.
    I never said it was.. you are the one who made a comment about Christians in particular.. so I addressed that. It is a religious forum and you claim to be an atheist yet you are here day in day out promoting your atheistic beliefs.

I consider it my *duty and pleasure* to talk rationality and hope against the misled Christians who engage in all manner of political agendas and use lying as a political tactic... activities that are harmful to the citizens of America and to America itself.
    These are your opnions, not facts. Almost 80% of Americans are Christians and the Nation was founded by Christians so I think you might be living in the wrong country if you have that much hatred for Christians.
    You are obviously on the wrong forum too because I doubt any of the Christians on this site are actuall politians so your message is not going to be heard by the people you want to hear it. So you are pretty much wasting your time.

It is my *job* while retired.
    I think you should find more enjoyable ways to spend your retirement years than harassing people about their beliefs and trying to promote your own.

P.S. what is with retirees these days..? What happened to sailing around the world, living on tropical islands, playing golf, spending time with grandchildren etc. You know, retirement! It just seems all people like you (and Cred.. retirees) do now is harass people online about one thing or another. If I had a short time left to live I would be on a sail boat somewhere seeing the world and living life to the fullest. :confused:
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Jul 25, 2008, 04:31 PM
    I'll be honest... One reason I participate in these forums, is the same reason I sometimes read the paranormal forums where people talk about ghosts and shadow people. Morbid curiosity, I guess.

I suspect it's why people tune into Jerry Springer, or can't take their eyes off a train wreck. But for me, there is also another reason...

I really want to help people who are on the fence. I feel strongly about education in our schools and if someone honestly doesn't understand how Noah's Ark could have happened or whether evolution (MACRO!) is true, I want to help answer these questions with legitimate information. I do this despite the efforts of certain moderators to shut down a thread any time too much sense is being made.
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Jul 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
    If i had a short time left to live i would be on a sail boat somewhere seeing the world and living life to the fullest. :confused:
    How do you know how much time you have left? Get to sailing NOW Sass! Seriously, don't wait to do what you want in life. Cred might outlive all of us. You never know...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Hello Sassy:

Aren't you the one who keeps on saying that secular humanism is a religion?? I think you are. So, which way is it?

excon
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 25, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Why do so called "atheists" devote countless hours and energy to attempting to disprove and demean religion on "religious" forums?
    I do not see any "atheists devote countless hours and energy to attempting to disprove and demean religion on religious forums"!
    All I see are (some) Secular Humanists respectfully pointing out that theists only "BELIEVE" what they claim to be "true".

What is their motive behind vehemently deconstructing the Christian faith in particular and propagating their own lack of faith?
    I do not see anyone "vehemently deconstructing the Christian faith in particular".
    All I see are (some) Secular Humanists respectfully pointing out that theists only "BELIEVE" what they claim to be "true".

I do neither see any Secular Humanist propagating their own lack of faith, as all that Secular Humanists do here is respectfully pointing out that theists only "BELIEVE" what they claim to be "truth", and participate in discussions on religious subjects.

And consider this also : isn't that precisely the idea of this board ? COMMUNICATION ? ? ?

Could it be that they are doing the very thing they claim to hate in religious zealots by persuading others to their viewpoint?
    That only would be possible if that would be their object. But I do not see any reason to suggest that...

Also, why do many of them come across as arrogant and angry with the rest of us who don't share their views?
    You may not share that... May be it is the mirror effect, because some theists here are extremely arrogant, angry, intolerant, bigoted, and hypocrite ! And if the shoe fits...

The interesting thing is that most atheists here would and have likened theism to believing in the "Bogeyman".
    Not at all true ! Some religions are somewhat like that. Christianity is one of the worst ones of these. But there are also several rather positive religions in the world, like for instance Buddhism and Shinto.

So i can't help but wonder why one would spend so much time and energy on something they find as ridiculous as a belief in the bogeyman.
    Perhaps to show that there are still ways to behave as a sane person, even if you believe in Christianity? The average Christian is as good a person as anyone else. But some creationists do not shy away from lying, cheating, sidestepping, twisting words, being hypocrite, etc... I'm sure you know one or more of these... Any mirrors around?

So if religion to atheists is a good as belief in Unicorns and fairy tales, then why spend so much of your free time on it....
    Why not ask yourself the same? That is up to each individual, is it not? Why don't you ask yourself why you in your pursuit of your Christian Mission to "spread the word" are doing everything in your power to do just the reverse ? I mean you do not spread "the word", but you spread a lot of hatred, despite, bigotry, and hypocrisy, don't you agree?

I do not believe in the existence of unicorns, and I don't spend a lot of time trying to deny their existence or even thinking about them because it would counter-productive.
    Personally I do not deny the existence of Unicorns or flying spaghetti Monsters. But I do not see any objective supported evidence for their existence.
    Neither do I deny the existence of god(s) or devil(s). But also again here : I do not see any objective supported evidence for their existence.

I got to wondering: just why do atheists spend so much time thinking about God, even if it is in the form of denial?
    It is not in the format of denial. And you should be very glad with their interest. Isn't that part of your Christian Mission?

Could it be that they are hoping someone will engage them in discussion and make a good enough argument that would dissuade them from their atheism, because deep down, they know on a subconscious level that what they are espousing is not truth.
    I really do not think that. I would more suggest that they are just sick and tired of...
    - all that steer waste that some fanatic "christians" post on the Internet.
    - all the pressure that some fanatic "christians" try to introduce in social and political fields.
    - all the religious hatred, the religious despite, the religious bigotry, and religious hypocrisy some fanatic "christians" try to post here daily...

I don’t know.. that’s just my theory anyway.. But i find it quite perplexing .... and ironic.
    Funny : that was also my first impression of this post. When I read it again, I felt that pure frustration that seems to tear you apart, resulting in a bitter and often disrespectful liar and cheater, just because there are some people here who prefer to use their own brain in the process of thinking , unlike those who prefer to based their mental sanity on only a 2000 year old book full with subjective claims!

What’s really ironic is when an atheists tells me i am trying to shove my beliefs down their throats...
    Well : actually he/she would be correct to tell you ! All your "christian" mission demands from you is to "spread the word". Not to force it upon others against their will ! And you do that all the time !

... wait a minute here….. I am on a religious forum and you came on this forum voluntarily so how am I shoving my beliefs on you? If anyone is "evangelizing" it you the atheist.
    Extremely poor grammar, but I see what you mean...
    I do not see any Secular Humanists doing that. All I see are (some) Secular Humanists respectfully pointing out that theists only "BELIEVE" what they claim to be "true".

So please any atheists out there please let me know why you have dedicated time and energy to something you deem non-existent.
    You still seem to use the incorrect description of the word ATHEIST : with pleasure I will oncer more explain to you what an ATHEIST is, and what the word really means !

Atheist

ATHEISM

A THEISM

A = no (or without)

Theism = belief in deities

Atheism = No (or without) belief in deities.

Atheist : one who has no (or is without) belief in a deity or deities.

I really wonder why you seem incapable of understanding that...
    Don't you pay attention when this is explained to you several times each week ?

:D :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

·
    -

Jul 25, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    How do you know how much time you have left? Get to sailing NOW Sass! Seriously, don't wait to do what you want in life. Cred might outlive all of us. You never know...
    At least I sail once every week, weather permitting, in the Atlantic Ocean or the North Sea. And I can even access the Internet from aboard, while sailing , to kill the dull hours !

If only sassyT realized how much pleasure that provides!!

·
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 07:12 PM
    I like catamarans
    Sassy do it right go for a catamaran
    -

Jul 25, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Sassy : just do it right...

·
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 04:17 AM
    Hi Sassy,

Good question. But here's the thing, don't get discouraged. We who do believe in our loving Father, don't want to stay cacooned, just with each other. There are those who don't believe in God, wonder maybe about beliefs, that do particapate.

Yes, there are those, who may pick apart are everyword... but that's okay, they are still here, and to me, that is a good sign. What they may not understand, is that we don't want them to believe, because we do, we want them to believe, because God's love is waiting for them, and He wants them to believe.

The key is, to try and not get frustrated or let the words that come at you, take you away from, who you are, or entering in a tit for tat. ( not saying you do at all, just in general).

There may be some who want to go tit for tat, but we don't need to enter that type of "discussion". When that happens, we need to just let God's love flow through us, and that is more then enough shield to keep us from entering into what I call "earthly" behaviour.

Not sure if that makes any sense. I hope that those who now feel they don't believe, continue to come, regardless of the words they say, there may be a day, that their hearts do indeed open to God's love.

I completely do understanding your frustration, but remember always, what is in your heart and let nothing interfere with sharing God's love, even though, it came become difficult at times.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Hi Sassy again :)

I had another thought. Just remember what was done to Our Lord. He was crucified by those who did not believe in Him.

Now not saying by any means, we can compare our self to Jesus, we could never, but if we get "crucified" with words, we should probably, use Jesus's actions, as our guide of how
    To react.

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do".

Very hard for us humans, but in ways, it actually is easier once we turn the other cheek, in a loving way, and not sink to levels of frustration or upset.

Hope this helps. It actually helps me, when I get in a jam, whether here on the site, or in life.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Yes they do, but most are not really athiests they are hurt self absorbed people who have a grudge against religion and Christianity, you don't see the same people going to Islam board and attacking them, or going to the Wicca board and attacking their religion, So no they don't have a problem really against religion, they have specific hatred against Christians.

I would go as far to say many have a mission to attack those of weak faith to do harm to their beliefs.

But we know this is to happen, in fact they are following the plan that the world is against those who follow the truth of God. In addition in fact if we were not under attack I would be more worried that we were not doing God's will. The Prince of this World does not need to come after those that are not following the will of God.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Fr. Chuck your words are so very very true.

There are many hurt souls looking and still searching and hoping to find, regain, their relationship with God.

And yes, there will be those, who are being used, to attack, bring down, those with such strong faith. Those are the souls that really indeed need to be here, even though the harshness is can be overbearing, but if they stay long enough and tire, our love, our words
    Our strength, and God's strength, can hopefully, bring them back to God's loving arms.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Jul 26, 2008, 10:14 AM
    :confused:

I don’t know.. that’s just my theory anyway.. But i find it quite perplexing .... and ironic.

Yes, I have found that to be a very credible point of view also, sassyT. In my previous discussions on this very subject matter I also was bombarded with horrible unreligious thoughts and language from un-Believers due to my Born-Again Christian beliefs. And I noticed that those who were making the verbal attacks stayed on and on for the most part as I discussed Jesus and ways on how they can be Saved. It could also be that there were some who were indeed Saved! Praise the Lord as it is something that is happening all of the time all over the world and we later hear through their own testimonies! Those who kept the conversation going may not have known that many other atheists visit here frequently and are learning more and more about Jesus and how to become Saved. Again, Praise the Lord! So, I consider it a blessed opportunity to discuss Jesus' Salvation with those un-Believers who are lost. Deep down they must feel the need for Salvation or they would not continue to visit and hold discussions with Christians. The only other reason they would be here is to try to sway our thinking which will never happen and I have told them so, and if that's their main agenda then they are in the wrong forum. We must thus arm ourselves with the Word of God as presented in the Scriptures to SHOW them what God says about these matters. We can spend time saying what we wish, with our own words, but ultimately, it is what God says that is TRUTH, thus the need for Scriptures.

What’s really ironic is when an atheists tells me i am trying to shove my beliefs down their throats.... wait a minute here….. I am on a religious forum and you came on this forum voluntarily so how am I shoving my beliefs on you? If anyone is "evangelizing" it you the atheist. :cool:
    Yes, I find that ironic as well. But you have to realize that while some are coming to Christ during these discussions, though they never post a word but come quietly to only read, there are others who continue to help those people become Christians when they see their venomous postings, weak arguments, illogical ramblings, etc. to try to defend their position which obviously indicates that they believe they are self-created, that God did not create them thus, those who do not currently believe have the opportunity to sit back and think on the differences on what we offer vs. what they offer and the choice is clear for many -- JESUS! I would like to ask un-Believers the name of the rock or ocean or animal they believe created them? Or perhaps they believe an alien from outer space made them? But when they arrive at this forum and any other religious or Christian forum, we must show them through Scripture what God says in answer to their questions, for that, again, is TRUTH! That is the bottom line and to not do so would be more than remiss on our part but would show that our own faith is weak as we were not using The Word of God as armor to dismantle arguments unbelievers present.

This is a good thread and let us Pray that through our efforts many non-Believers who are ready to leave their current way of thinking and belief system will see the true This is a good thread and let us Pray that through our efforts many non-Believers who are ready to leave their current way of thinking and belief system will see the true differences and if led by their free will choice will find Jesus and become Born Again Christians In His Name and for His Greater Glory, thus, ensuring their ultimate Salvation when they pass on! Praise Be To God! and if led by their free will choice will find Jesus and become Born Again Christians In His Name and for His Greater Glory, thus, ensuring their ultimate Salvation when they pass on! Praise Be To God!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

About "Forums" [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I’ve seen a lot of “how to make your own forum explanations” but NEVER have I got the answer I needed. So I hope that some of you guys can help me… Well, here it goes. I’m building a website, and I want to add a forum to it. I know all the free-forum sites and all the...

Stanley Williams "EXECUTION". Religious- political -any perspectives are appreciated! [ 13 Answers ]

Was it right to execute Stanley Williams? He found redemption after being a gang leader of the crips, and was actually nominated for a nobel prize after writing books about disenfranchised children and teaching about anti-gang activism from prison. He was producing a change. President Bush even...

View more questions Search