Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Wash or paint steel siding
    We have a house that was sided, I'm guessing, sometimes in the sixties, early 70's. It is steel, has chaulked off and looks like it needs a bath or a painting. How do you wash steel siding? Can it be repainted and how big a job is that? Thanks, Helen
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Steel and aluminium siding may have self cleaning paint which is designed to chaulk off the outer most surface over time. Your can wash it with a soft bristle brush and TSP, wear cloves and goggles. If you want to paint you still have to wash the siding first so try that and lets see what it looks like.
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Thanks for the answer. We will try cleaning it first. I did try a small patch and the metal underneath shows through. Maybe I'm past washing?? HElen
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Helen when we bought our house it was past washing to make it look good. We even had to remove a plant that was growing up the side that was suctioned to the siding... we had to sand some of the plant off to smooth out the surface.
    We used a product called dirtex cleaner to wash it and then followed up with a rinse.

My advice is to use a satin paint on the metal... we used flat and while it looks great our house it's a light yellow and it does not clean off as well as the trim which we painted in satin. If I had it to do over I would paint the body of the house in satin and paint the trim in either semi gloss or enamel.

Also to help decide on a color, I printed off a black and white copy of our house and bought a large set of colored penicls and colored my house in the colors that I was interested in. That way you can get an idea of what it will look like before you paint it.
    I even added shutters and drew in lattice at the bottom of the porch, colored my mulch and added plants for the full effect...

I hope you enjoy the paint job as much as I did.

As a side note if you choose a really dark color they may have to order it. The store I bought from only sold the dark colors in 1 gallon containers so it ended up costing more.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 24, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Painting the siding is pretty easy with an airless sprayer, I did my house and the siding itself only took about 2 hours once I got all set up. The trim and everything else had to be brushed, but by spraying the siding first I didn't need to tape much off, just oversprayed and painted the trim color over that.
    katkar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 10:46 AM
    RE: washing steel siding to prep for primer and paint, I've seen.. use TSP or vinegar in water... is either better?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 7, 2010, 04:17 PM

Use TSP, both work but TSP is better

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding vinil siding over cedar siding [ 3 Answers ]

My house have cedar siding I do like to know if I can add vinal siding over it, if I can how should I do it, or what kind of insulation can I use. Thanks

How to remove paint stripper residue spots from vinyl siding [ 8 Answers ]

I tried to strip the paint from my patio railing than is next to my vinyl siding. Of course, it didn't work and now I have spots of paint stripper on my vinyl siding. It was an environmentally safe product with no harsh chemicals. But, I want to get rid of the spots. Anyone got any ideas?

How to paint vinyl siding [ 4 Answers ]

I can not find a certain color for vinyl siding and have explored the alternatives to vinyl. Is there a paint and or process to paint vinyl for a long lasting finish?

Can you paint cedar shake shingle siding? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you paint cedar shake shingle siding?

Paint and rust off vinyl siding [ 1 Answers ]

My sister was painting out foundation the same color as our shutters but got some on our vinyl siding so I was wondering if there is anything that would take it off... also there is a rust stain on the vinyl siding is there any way of getting that off to...

View more questions Search