Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    \\
    Actually 1500 or so years after man was removed from Eden. In fact part of one issue, we do not know how many years or even 1000's of years Adam may have been in the Garden.
    I stand corrected, but there was no death before then, right? So it's kind of a moot point when talking about the extinction of the dinos.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    That link doesn't speak to my questions. What about my questions?
    Scripture answers your questions.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    Scripture answers your questions.
    Please list the verses that specifically answer my questions.
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Jul 20, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    In "other religion" there was a question on Noah's Ark.
    In the end the topic changed into a debate on the size of the Ark versus the carrying capacity versus the number of all animals and plants that would have to be in the ark to survive the flood.

Tj3 (AKA Answerway's Toms 777) stated in response to Choux's post on the problems with the size of the ark : "Others used different assumptions and came up with a completely different answer".

How can anyone claim that the ark was big enough to contain all these animals in the required quantities and variations. Not even a ship double the size of the ark would be big enough !!! Logical thinking and simple mathematics makes that clear beyond any doubt.

So where is the calculation that the Ark was big enough to provide sufficient space for all in it for such a long time?
    Or can we accept the Biblical Noah's Ark story as just a copycat repeat of the Gilgamesh story?

Well, some will say it was only babies that were taken onto the Ark, to the point where Noah would have only had to carry a basket of eggs on board for some species. Also, the flood didn't have to include the entire Western hemisphere (that takes care of Australian marsupials, etc.). But that still leaves a few hundred million species to collect, food to take with, not to mention a whole lot of waste to clean up. But this isn't even the most problematic aspect to the story.

If the flood was indeed worldwide, then most plants and vegetation would have been destroyed. So not only is there the problem of what they ate on the Ark, but what did they eat AFTER they disembarked? Carnivores would need more animals. Herbivores, plants. Plants also tend to be kind of important to the delicate balance of the biosphere. So we might ask what they breathed as well as what they ate. And what about all that ocean salt that would now be mixed with fresh drinking water? All minor details that can easily be resolved I'm sure, by invoking the magical powers of God.

This of course, assumes that you're OK with every animal on the earth today, being directly descendant from those few on the Ark. This is perhaps, the most incredulous aspect to the story in its own right.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    the entire Western hemisphere (that takes care of Australian marsupials, etc.).
    Check your atlas. Australia is not in the Western Hemisphere.

Jul 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Check your atlas. Australia is not in the Western Hemisphere.
    My mistake. Was thinking Western hemisphere and 'other continents' at the same time, and Western Hemisphere is what got typed. Oops!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
    My mistake. Was thinking Western hemisphere and 'other continents' at the same time, and Western Hemisphere is what got typed. Oops!
    Since this is in Religious Discussions, I'll forgive you (but DON'T let it happen again!! ).
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 20, 2008, 05:14 PM
    This of course, assumes that you're ok with every animal on the earth today, being directly descendant from those few on the Ark.
    First of all Noah's Great Flood is a direct copy of the thousands of years older Gilgamesh flood story. So where was God's guidance when that story was copy-catted into the Bible? Can the claimed to exist "God" now also be accused of plagiarism ? If not : how can it be that Noah's story is the twin story of the much older Gilgamesh epic?

The Bible speaks of a worldwide flood, so all animals on earth were involved.
    How did marsupials travel to the Ark, and - even more interesting - how did they return to Australia? Quantas Airlines?

As to the numbers of animals on the Ark : as per the biblical story all living animals today should be descendants from animals on the Ark. Not even several arks would have been capable of housing all these different species, specially for such a long time.

As to humans : how can our genes clearly indicate that modern humans descend from humans from all over the globe, if we can only descend from Noah's family, as all other humans should have drowned?

All these aspects together provide enough data to declare the entire Noah myth null and void.
    But as always I am open to any objective supporting evidence for Noah's story...

But why is that never coming forward?

:rolleyes:

·
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 05:46 PM
    First of all Noah's Great Flood is a direct copy of the thousands of years older Gilgamesh flood story.
    Really? Please validate that claim that Gilgamesh is "thousands of years older".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Epic is from around 2700 BC, Flood 2345 BC--hundreds of years, not thousands.

Jul 20, 2008, 08:23 PM
    As to humans : how can our genes clearly indicate that modern humans descend from humans from all over the globe, if we can only descend from Noah's family, as all other humans should have drowned?
    I never understood this. Surely there were other boats around. Why didn't anyone grab some veggies and hop in a boat?

Serious question... Can anyone familiar with the bible explain that? Or does the bible explain why no other person on earth could have hopped into a boat?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Epic is from around 2700 BC, Flood 2345 BC--hundreds of years, not thousands.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scholars surmise that a series of Sumerian legends and poems about the mythological hero-king Gilgamesh, who might have been a real ruler in the late Early Dynastic II period (ca. 27th century BC)[1], were gathered into a longer Akkadian poem long afterward, with the most complete version existing today preserved on twelve clay tablets in the library collection of the 7th century BC Assyrian king Ashurbanipal.
    Source: Epic of Gilgamesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is nothing definite about whether it is only a story, or when it occurred, but the story was recorded much later than 2700 BC according to scholars. This places the Gilgamesh story after the historic flood recorded in Genesis.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 09:37 PM
    the story was recorded much later than 2700 BC according to scholars.
    From allaboutarchaeology.org -
    "The Epic of Gilgamesh dates to about 2700 BC and was originally written on 12 clay tablets in the cuneiform script of ancient Sumeria."

From bookrags.com (The Epic of Gilgamesh) --
    "the ancient oral tales about Gilgamesh probably were first written down, in cuneiform, about 2500 B.C. by Sumerian scribes"

From book-of-thoth.com --
    "The earliest Sumerian versions of the epic date from as early as the Third dynasty of Ur (2100 BC-2000 BC), or to about 400 years after the supposed reign of Gilgamesh, who is now thought to have been historical, following the discovery of artifacts definitively associated with Agga and Enmebaragesi of Kish, two other kings named in the stories."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 09:39 PM
    7th century BC Assyrian king Ashurbanipal.
    So? Why bold the date?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 09:46 PM
    This has been, so far, an interesting topic.

With my personal beliefs aside, the answer has come down to...

It's God. We can't understand what God did.

Or...

It's just not possible?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 09:54 PM
    from allaboutarchaeology.org -
    "The Epic of Gilgamesh dates to about 2700 BC and was originally written on 12 clay tablets in the cuneiform script of ancient Sumeria."

from bookrags.com (The Epic of Gilgamesh) --
    "the ancient oral tales about Gilgamesh probably were first written down, in cuneiform, about 2500 B.C. by Sumerian scribes"

from book-of-thoth.com --
    "The earliest Sumerian versions of the epic date from as early as the Third dynasty of Ur (2100 BC-2000 BC), or to about 400 years after the supposed reign of Gilgamesh, who is now thought to have been historical, following the discovery of artifacts definitively associated with Agga and Enmebaragesi of Kish, two other kings named in the stories."
    Note that there is a great deal of uncertainty about the dates, as indicated by the variance and the usage of words such as "probably". The earliest validated dates are later than the guesses, but even the guesses are after the date of the Biblical flood. The 26-27th century BC date refers to the timeframe in which the tale is set, not when it was written down. The point being is that the story was written down at best a few hundred years after the historic flood event record in scripture.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 21, 2008, 01:16 AM
    ... Can anyone familiar with the bible explain that? Or does the bible explain why no other person on earth could have hopped into a boat?
    I waited to see reactions. But as expected none seem to be forthcoming !
    Now why would that be ?

:rolleyes:

·
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 06:59 AM
    I never understood this. Surely there were other boats around. Why didn't anyone grab some veggies and hop in a boat?

Serious question... Can anyone familiar with the bible explain that? Or does the bible explain why no other person on earth could have hopped into a boat?
    Okay - I personally thought that the answer was obvious, but here goes:

Gen 7:24
    24 And the waters prevailed on the earth one hundred and fifty days.
    NKJV

How many people do you know who have a boat ready to go which has 6 months of supplies aboard? And 6 months would be bare minimum since time would be required after the flood for fresh water lakes and ponds to form again, and for vegetation for food to grow again.

Think about it.

Jul 21, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Okay - I personally thought that the answer was obvious, but here goes:

Gen 7:24
    24 And the waters prevailed on the earth one hundred and fifty days.
    NKJV

How many people do you know who have a boat ready to go which has 6 months of supplies aboard? And 6 months would be bare minimum since time would be required after the flood for fresh water lakes and ponds to form again, and for vegetation for food to grow again.

Think about it.
    People have survived longer than this stranded at sea. As to this:
    And 6 months would be bare minimum since time would be required after the flood for fresh water lakes and ponds to form again, and for vegetation for food to grow again.
    I've been asking this and no one has answered. How did Noah and the animals cope with this? Even they had enough room to store all this food on the boat, what they do when they got off the Ark until all the vegetation came back? And what did the carnivores eat, since the only animals saved were ones that were supposed to go on and reproduce again?
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 11:45 AM
    People have survived longer than this stranded at sea.
    There is far more than just surviving at sea. Keep in mind that this was more than just a calm sea, or even a stormy sea. Water was coming up from underground, and from above, so much so that in days the whole earth was flooded. This was a catastrophic situation where most boats would be sunk in the first few hours, let alone 6 months.

I've been asking this and no one has answered. How did Noah and the animals cope with this? Even they had enough room to store all this food on the boat, what they do when they got off the Ark until all the vegetation came back? And what did the carnivores eat, since the only animals saved were ones that were supposed to go on and reproduce again?
    Since we are not given a detailed list of what they stored for supplies, this will have to remain a matter of speculation. And to even attempt to answer the question, we would need to examine the dietary needs on a species by species basis. Some animals can eat a variety of items despite dietary preferences, perhaps others ate fish which could be caught in the open sea. Without a detailed study which could take years, the speculation on the answer will be as vague as the question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The PIG.Noah's Arc? [ 19 Answers ]

I don't know if I put this under the right religion caterory if not so sorry... But I once heard that the PIG wasn't an animal in noahs arc... is it true?? They said that the pig is a mix of a rat a dog and osmething else not quite sure... What do you guys think or know?

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah's Ark [ 1 Answers ]

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah'sArk One : Don't miss the boat. Two : Remember that we are all in the same boat. Three: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark. Four : Stay fit When you're 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big. ...

View more questions Search