Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dquigley69 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Incoming 30 amp power line to shed, do I need small breaker box
    Would like to run lighting, outlet's (4) and power tools. Not 220.

What size of a breaker box/panel would I need?

Can someone please help with this.

Thanks

DQ
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

Jun 16, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Yes you need a sub panel. And a few other things as well. You are only wanting to run 30 amps? Nothing is wrong with that, but in future your demand might outweigh the 30 amps. BUT, if you don't think it will, then 30 is OK.

Where is this feed coming from? IE, a panel on the outside of your house? The main panel in the house? What? How far are you wanting to go with the feed? Length will play a roll if it's a longgggggg way. If this bldg is detached, you will need a separate gnd rod at the shed, as well you will need to run 4 wires to the shed. 2 hots, 1 nuetral, and 1 equipment ground.

Land the gnd and neutral on separate busses in the shed as well. So when you buy your panel box make sure it has a separate equipment grounding buss in it. If not you will need to buy one for the brand box you bought.

IF your only wanting 30amps then you can run #10 Copper out to the shed for the hots and neutrals then run a separate #8 or for ground and from the panel in the shed out to the ground rod run a piece of bare copper #6. Attach it to the ground rod with a clamp rated for direct burial. (FYI ground rod must be buried its entire length which is 8ft)If you want to up that and run say 50amps then you can run #8 out for hots and neutral. I would use thhn buried in conduit. BUT it all depends on how far you are going.

There are few more things, but get back and tell what you want exactly. Where the feed is originating from as well as the distance
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone Line No Dial Tone, But Works with incoming calls [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone here can help me with this. I have only one phone line at home,Verizon landline, with a regular phone connected to a wall, and a panasonic cordless 5.8ghz phone with extra handset. Everything works fine 95% percent of the time but 3 times in the last month when I wake up in the...

Power to my shed [ 1 Answers ]

I want to run permanent power to my shed. I am trying to power a very small wood shop. This includes, circular saw, single stage air compressor, radio, 2 4' fluorescent light balasts, and a small router from time to time , small box fan. The run is 50' from the house and another 30' to the panel...

Power To A Shed [ 15 Answers ]

My 14 by 32 shed will be ready to go in a couple of weeks and I am trying to figure out what size wire I need to run from the panel on my house to the shed. It will have 6 110 outlets,1 220 outlet and 2 light outlets. I will primarily be running power tools and a air compressor that is 110. The 220...

Breaker shows power but no power to outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a breaker that is showing power coming out but all outets and equipment on this circuit are dead how do I find the problem?

A/c power breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a...

View more questions Search