Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willieonlyone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 08:43 PM
    How long will my maple trees keep shedding buds?
    I have 3 large maple trees that are sheeding buds. I'm unable to keep up with the sweeping. Can you tell me when this stops? Then the helicopters I call them will start shedding. It never seems to end?
    Thank you. I would appreciate your answer.
    Willieonlyone

>Moved from Forum Help<
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

May 27, 2008, 09:02 AM
    I am hoping for a quick end to this myself. I have been sweeping like a maniac. Will be interested in any answers you receive.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 27, 2008, 09:38 AM
    All though it looks unsightly for awhile these will dry up shrivel and blow away in no time. Any seeds that fall on a hot surface like your driveway will cook and not sprout. The others will go back into the ground, actually turning to organic matter and organic fertilizer. Or provide food for small wildlife.

May 27, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Or no, they turn into little maple tree buds that are heck to pull out of the ground. When does this all end, does anyone know?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2008, 07:28 PM
    I agree mostly with Wildandblue, most won't grow. However, your tree may drop 5000-6000 helicopters and most not growing may still leave you with hundreds of little guys growing around shrubs and mulched areas. I usually just let them fall, no sweeping just mulching them into the soil and hand pulling the hundreds while they are tiny twigs. While still tiny they also are very susceptible to weed killer for lawns.

May 30, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Would that weed killer be the sort that also kills broadleaf or do I need a different kind. Pulling all those little babies up by hand is a chore and a half. If I can kill them rather than pull them, I will. Please tell me which weed killer is best? Helen
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 08:34 AM
    You have hit it on the head, Broadleaf weed killer should take the saplings out with no harm to your lawn. Don't use this in your flower beds.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 31, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Ah, the weedkiller quick fix. Usually followed a few weeks later by, "the rabbits and mice are eating all my valuable plants! What can I do?" Or even the "my dog/cat/kid swallowed that weedkiller I bought for the lawn!" You keep these seedlings around as decoys, see to protect the more valuable stuff. Trees have been producing seeds as long as there have been trees. This is rabbit food. This is organic matter. This is free. Learn to live with it, love your tree neighbors. They will keep it up, long after you are dead. Obsessing over their every move, makes it look like you've got a little too much time on your hands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple trees [ 2 Answers ]

DO Maple tree roots damage water or sewer pipes?

Red Maple Trees [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question, My question is How long are the Maple Tree's Roots? How wide are they? Also how big do they get? Thanks Sa1122

Maple trees: [ 2 Answers ]

We live in OK. And just recently moved and the home we bought has maple trees, variety I am unsure of. This whole housing addition is full of maple trees. Our problem is we are elderly and thought when we left the oak trees behind we would not be cleaning gutters & raking the yard constantly. My...

View more questions Search