Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Prison father wanting rights
    I live in Texas and I have a 6 year old daughter that I had out of wedlock. The man who I thought was the father signed the birth certificate and the affidavit of paternity. When my daughter started to age I noticed that she looked like another guy I was fooling around with. Well the other guy saw her and also believed her to be his, however he stated he wanted nothing to do with her. Now he's in jail and is calling me after 6 years claiming he has rights to see the child and wants her name changed to his. My daughter doesn't know this guy, and to make matters worse she is living with the dad whose name is on her birth certificate. I need to know if there is anything I can do to prevent this matter from going to court and what rights does he have after all this time?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 01:09 PM
    You may not, depending on where you live.

In most US states, the bio father can come back and request a DNA test. If he is proven to be the father, he will be allowed visits. You can ask for them to be supervised till he gets to know the child. He may not be able to make you change the birth certificate, but the father listed on it, may.

Also if it is proven that the man listed on the birth certificate is not the father, he has no legal right to custody of the child.
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 28, 2008, 01:24 PM
    There are a lot of "maybes" in this situation. Check out State Statutes to see what the statutes for your area are. In Texas, depending on what bio-dad is in jail for, rights could actually be terminated (but that is a very concise list of things; like sex assault on a child for example). On the other hand, incarceration is not grounds for termination of parental rights (aside from incarceration for a crime listed specifically by state statutes, again usually involving crimes against children leading to death or trauma, gross neglect). It is very possible that it could turn out that he would get supervised (obviously) visitation at least until he is out of jail. If he is her father, he has every right to pursue his parental rights.

Another maybe is whatever the court may deem as the best interest of the child and that could potentially be to remain with the presumptive father (dude on the birth certificate), stranger things have happened. Why does bio-dad want back in the picture after all this time now anyway, did he say? Are you still with the presumptive father or is he just raising her as a single parent?

Best bet is to research your options in the state statutes and then seek legal counsel should you need it.
    cmter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 02:05 PM
    The prison dad says that he found Jesus and wants visitation. I am not with the presumptive dad, he actually raising my daughter while I finish school.
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 28, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Well, if he has really found something that keeps him on the straight and narrow and he wants to step up, good for him and there's very little you can do about it unless you can prove that he would be an unfit parent and a negative influence to your daughter.

Again, I would check the state statutes, determine what everyone's rights are, including "step-dad," and seek legal counsel if you plan on fighting anything.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 02:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmter
    I live in Texas and I have a 6 year old daughter that I had out of wedlock. The man who I thought was the father signed the birth certificate and the affidavit of paternity. When my daughter started to age I noticed that she looked like another guy I was fooling around with. Well the other guy saw her and also believed her to be his, however he stated he wanted nothing to do with her. Now he's in jail and is calling me after 6 years claiming he has rights to see the child and wants her name changed to his. My daughter doesn't know this guy, and to make matters worse she is living with the dad whose name is on her birth certificate. I need to know if there is anything I can do to prevent this matter from going to court and what rights does he have after all this time?
    The man who signed her BS is her legal father.The bio-father does not have rights to claim his paternity after 5 years.It is the Texan law.You do not need to do anything=The Court will not allow his claim.
    Family Law Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 02:20 AM
    TFC
    § 160.607. TIME LIMITATION: CHILD HAVING PRESUMED
    FATHER. (a) Except as otherwise provided by Subsection (b), a
    Proceeding brought by a presumed father, the mother, or another
    Individual to adjudicate the parentage of a child having a presumed
    Father shall be commenced not later than the fourth anniversary of
    The date of the birth of the child.
    (b) A proceeding seeking to disprove the father-child
    Relationship between a child and the child's presumed father may be
    Maintained at any time if the court determines that:
    (1) the presumed father and the mother of the child did
    Not live together or engage in sexual intercourse with each other
    During the probable time of conception; and
    (2) the presumed father never represented to others
    That the child was his own.
    Family Law Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 02:23 AM
    According to TFLC the bio-father does not have standing here... Fr_Chuck is out of base.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NY mom - father wanting to give up all rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if any one could give me some advice. I reside in New York, and my child's father resides in FL. The baby was born in NY. My sons father wants to give up his paternal rights. Does this mean he is not financially obligated anymore and that he can never see his child...

Father wants to sign over rights, Not wanting to pay child support out of paycheck [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my son wants to sign over all parental rights, and apay child support on his own and not through the paycheck. Is that possible? Is it also possible if I go to welfare and try to get assistance that they won't go after his paycheck? I need the help, but I don't want his...

A father wanting to give up rights? [ 15 Answers ]

My childrens's father wants to giveup his rights, what or how do we go about doing that. I'm 21 years old and I have a 1 year old and 2 year old. I'm in a stable relationship and we are about to get married soon and I was wondering does my fiancé have to adpot them now or what. Because my fiancé is...

Father wanting to give up rights [ 1 Answers ]

I live in North Dakota and have lived here for the past 3 years. My divorce went through in Colorado and my exwife and daughter now live in Texas and have for almost a year now. Her new husband wants to adopt my daughter and I want to give up my rights so he can. I have called the Texas legal...

Father wanting custody [ 3 Answers ]

Wife left marital home with 2 year old daughter to live with her parents.She has apparently gone back to her beliefs in the JW.I do not want my daughter to be raised in that environment.Could use some advice.

View more questions Search