Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrepen Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2007, 09:49 PM
    Can someone walk me through validating a debt?
    When it rains, it pours.
    I was on my way out the door this morning to go to court to file a motion to set aside a default judgement on one lawsuit when I nearly tripped over a new summons.
    Asset Acceptance LLC apparently bought 2 accounts with my name on them and lumped them together into one lawsuit.
    Count 1: DTE Energy, last date of payment 5/2004, which is when I moved out of the residence. DTE later took over ConEnergy. I owed ConEnergy when I moved out, DTE was paid up, so I need to find out if my ex-roommate owes me on this one. I'm not too worried about it, as it's only $200.
    Count 2: ACCC. I have no idea who this is. It's a 16 digit account number, which would be a credit card, but none that I've ever heard of or used. There's also a last payment date of 10/2002, which is impossible because I worked for Starbuck's at the time and couldn't pay anybody anything. Could ACCC be another collections agency who bought a credit card account, added a crapload of interest, and then sold it to Asset Acceptance? I'm thinking this 10/2002 date is a bogus way to keep it within the SOL so they could add it onto the suit and push it out of small claims.
    So please, step by step, with as much detail as you would give a three-year-old, how do I go about validating a debt? I am completely naïve in this arena and am already stressed out enough over lawsuit #1.
    Thank you in advance.
    : - j:confused:
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Good luck; Asset Acceptance is nothing but a bunch of crooks!! I had a friend go through this same problem; I posted a question about this a while ago.

Asset throws debt on your credit and then when you try to be honest and pay it off, they screw you over. My friend asked for proof of this debt being his, because he's already had issues with identity theft; they mailed him a settlement offer and refused to prove that the debt was his. It took him over a month to get any proof and by the time he got it, the settlement was days away from expiring. They also tried to push back the expiration date on the settlement and claimed that they had no proof of a settlement letter ever going out; he had to fax them their own letter!!

He also had the same problem with a bogus date; they had "Last Activity" on his credit dated at 09/2007, then admitted while they were on the phone with him that they've had the account since 2005 but have never talked to him about it!

My personal advice? Get an attorney, NOW.
    frenchy1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2008, 05:56 PM
    OK first and foremost Asset Acc.LLC isn't a Scam... They are the worlds largest debt purchasing Co. People absolutely kill me when thye call this Co bogus... Yes they do report on the Credit report if it meet the state of limitations. People should have paid their bills in the first place with the original creditor if they didn't want to deal with them. As far as a Validation of the debt goes, when people want proof that it's there debt by law they are entitled to send you validation of the debt, and nothing else... They are FDCPA compliant and they have to follow the laws. The only people I see on here bad talking Asset LLc is people that don't pay their bills apparently and they have a debt with them! Pay your bills and you wouldn't have this problem!

Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Good luck; Asset Acceptance is nothing but a bunch of crooks!!! I had a friend go through this same problem; I posted a question about this a while ago.

Asset throws debt on your credit and then when you try to be honest and pay it off, they screw you over. My friend asked for proof of this debt being his, because he's already had issues with identity theft; they mailed him a settlement offer and refused to prove that the debt was his. It took him over a month to get any proof and by the time he got it, the settlement was days away from expiring. They also tried to push back the expiration date on the settlement and claimed that they had no proof of a settlement letter ever going out; he had to fax them their own letter!!!

He also had the same problem with a bogus date; they had "Last Activity" on his credit dated at 09/2007, then admitted while they were on the phone with him that they've had the account since 2005 but have never talked to him about it!

My personal advice? Get an attorney, NOW.
    horacekramer Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 07:11 PM
    I think frenchy works for asset

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Validating legal judgements [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of re-financing my mortgage and for the first time ever I have discovered that there is a judgement against my name (name only, not my property) and my ex husband's name for an unpaid rent debt of 4,000. This rent was SUPPOSED to be paid by my ex during our separation...

How do you walk away? [ 6 Answers ]

Im still having trouble letting go of my 3 year relationship with my ex girlfriend. Its been almost 3 months maybe 4 and I still can't walk away without wanting to try to make it work with her and when it comes to trying not to be her friend I can't do that either I go a day maybe a week at best...

View more questions Search