Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tinkerbell2004 Posts: 49, Reputation: 17

Oct 3, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Flea infestation
    I have tried everything to get rid of the fleas in our house. Everything from the typical vet prescribed medicines to simple house hold remedies && extermination. Please my animals are being chewed alive && I feel horrible about it.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2009, 04:35 AM

What have you tried so far... be specific...

What brand /type of treatment did you put on your animals?

What have you done to rid the fleas in your house?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 3, 2009, 04:41 AM
    Did your exterminator explain the need for constant intensive vacuuming until the flea life cycle is broken? Did they mention the need to dust mop any wood floors with flea powder?

Did they explain the need to keep the lawn mowed as short as possible?

Did they schedule a follow-up treatment after 14-21 days?

Or did you mean "picked up a bomb from the store" when you said "exterminating?"

Oct 3, 2009, 12:05 PM

For the medications I have tried Frontline Plus, K9 Advantix, Bio Spot, Advantage, && Sergeants Gold Flea && Tick (which nearly ended up killing my yorkie && left me with a hefty emergency vet bill). As for home remedies I have done the dawn soap && water with a nightlight above it, epson salts on the carpeting, cloves... && I can't even remember what else, anything I could find that people were swearing by.

As for the extermination, I have yet been able to convince my parents of getting an actual exterminator into the house, but I've done the flea bombs && the spray. Both things picked up from my local veterinarian. After we did both of those we had all the bedding washed in the house, && thoroughly cleaned the wood floors.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 3, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Okay,

I'm afraid you have a lot of work ahead of you. Read this stickie for the reasons

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pest-c...pt-386490.html

But what you need to do is

1. Get the animals on a program for flea control, be that bathing, spot on products, sprays, dusts, whatever. They have to STAY on it.

2. Evacuate the house for an afternoon (4 hours). As you leave, apply a flea control product with both an insecticide and a growth regulator in it.

3. Immediately vacuum the house on your return. Make certain fleas cannot survive in the vacuum bag, either by changing it or sucking some flea powder into it.

4. Here's the trick you've been missing: vacuum the house EVERY DAY for 2 - 3 weeks. I mean the WHOLE house, under the beds, under the pet's beds, everywhere.

5. Wood floors, tile, and linoleum need to have a flea powder treatment, sprinkle flea powder on the floor and make sure it's completely covered by spreading it with a dry dust mop.

6. The lawns need to be kept as short as possible so the natural predators outside have a better chance to kill as many larvae as possible.

I said it would be a lot of work, but consistency pays off.

Oct 3, 2009, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to get my parents to help do it all. Thankfully there isn't too much carpeting left in the house to vacuum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flea Infestation [ 7 Answers ]

I have about 2 acres of property out in the country with 4 dogs and 4 goats, lately I have been picking fleas off myself and my kids after being outside.. it is getting worse, so now that my yard is infested how do I get rid of them I have tried every possible product you can buy in stores?? Help..

Flea Infestation! [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Everyone OK my house is infested with fleas. It is nasty and gross. Help how do I get this under control. Oh yes opps forgot to tell you. We have five 8 week old kittens which we are about to give away soon. But they are infested with fleas. We also have 3 cats that are infested with...

Kitten and mom flea infestation [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 week old kittens, their mom, and now my house are infested with fleas. What can I safely use?

Flea infestation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a male cat with flea infestation. I have tried pills,shampoo,sprays.I just cannot get ride of them. The said to use infestation .That did not work. I am at my wits in. My cat is a Male hemalain. Help

View more questions Search