Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moviechic28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Renter rights in Oklahoma
    My ex-husband lives in an apartment, he moved into this apartment in Aug. 2008. Upon moving in his refrigerator, stove and dishwasher never worked. He informed apt. mgr about issues after moving in and noticing problems. We have 2 small children that spend time with him. After paying his rent on schedule nothing was done to rectify problems with the apartment, so he quit paying his rent in Nov until things were fixed. The landlord finally fixed everything in Jan. Does my ex-husband owe this back rent for Nov. and Dec.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Feb 24, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Oklahoma has a repair and deduct law. The tenant must notify the landlord in writing of any repairs needed. The landlord then has 14 days to make the repairs. If the landlord fails to make repairs, then the tenant can hire a repair person himself and deduct the amount from the rent.

The law also states that rent can only be withheld when essential services are not provided. Essential services are listed as heat, hot water & electricity.

Actually the landlord could have started eviction procedures once the rent was late back in November.

So it seems that according to state law, your husband does owe back rent for the months of November & December.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2009, 12:57 PM

Will agree with Lill to this, he never had a "right" to withhold rent, if he paid to have them fix, but if the landlord fixed them, he owes his rent.

If this was me, I would go see the landlord and try to work out a agreement to the payment, the landlord may be OK with a partial rent.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 01:08 PM

Yes he does owe rent for the months he lived there and did not pay. He could get evicted if he does not pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My rights as a renter [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living with a roommate for 5 years now. I have no written contract so I guess it's month to month rental. She's on the lease and has been for 25 years. I recently found out that I have been paying for more than 3/4 the rent due to rent control from her being there so long and she's been...

What is my rights as a renter [ 1 Answers ]

What's is my rights as renter. When the home owner decides to sell to another party.

Renter rights [ 5 Answers ]

I rent a house . The owner is in default. He is still asking for rent, but the bank now owns the house.Plus I have to move before my lease agreement is over due to the default. WHat are my rights on paying rent, and to whom? Can I sue the owner for making me move and incurring expenses before...

Renter rights [ 4 Answers ]

In the state of California is it legal to collect rent on your rental property and not pay the mortgage? The landlord owns 2 houses and both houses are in foreclosure. I'am rent one of the houses and need to know what my legal rights are.

Renter rights [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to pay for the unit down stair stuff if it get wet because something is leaking in our bathroom and going throw the floor and throw her sealing but the landord can find what leaking from our bathroom and we never let water go on the floor.. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:...

View more questions Search