Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 29, 2005, 04:42 PM
    How long will my battery give me light?
    I have a garage in a building, along with about 30 other people. We have all had electricity in our garages, but we didn't have to pay for it - people who lived in that building paid for it. However, about a few months back our electricity was cut out from our garages, because someone supposedly had some big electricity draining equipment in their garage and people in the building decided they will not pay for it. Now I have to come up with a way to get light in my garage.

I thought of using a car battery, and some 12V light bulbs. However, I want to see how convenient that will be. I want to calculate for how long I will be able to use the light before recharging the battery.

I have no idea how to calculate this, so I would really appreciate if anyone could help.

Let's imagine I have a car battery of X Amper-hours and Y light bulbs (12V bulbs) that each lights with Z Watts. What is the formula to calculate how long I will be able to use those bulbs before I empty my battery?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 08:41 PM
    watts = volts times amps. Divide the watts by 12 volts to get the amps. Even a small light will be enough in a big, dark garage to keep from running into the car and finding the keyhole.

Keep up your good work in automotive. I am covered up with HVAC stuff.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 29, 2005, 08:57 PM
    Thank you very much, labman!

I'd actually need some better lighting in the garage, because I use it as a storage place for my engine I plan on rebuilding, and I need some lighting to work on the engine.

Looks like I could keep a 40W bulb working for almost 11 hours... that's a lot longer than I expected!

Thanks again!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 09:14 PM
    May want to try to find some 12 volt flouresent lights for larger light needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop battery [ 7 Answers ]

Have a new laptop. Can anyone tell me the proper way to use the battery wisely. Should it be removed while not in use? Run completely down before recharging etc.

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

94 civic battery will not come on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 94 Honda Civic. The car will not start. I have realized that it is not getting any spark. I also noticed that the battey light on the dashboard will not light up with the key in the "ON" position. The check engine light is on as it should be. Also a fuse keeps blowing in an unlabeled...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

93 Civic - Battery Light issue [ 7 Answers ]

My battery light came on (while the car was running) today for the 1st time in over 5 years with my civic. Even with a dead battery, the light never came on while running. If rev the engine to 3000-3500 rpms, the light starts to fade, so I suspect that the alternator is about to go (very soon). ...

View more questions Search