Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikefrancis Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2004, 11:20 AM
    94 civic battery will not come on
    I have a 94 Honda Civic. The car will not start. I have realized that it is not getting any spark. I also noticed that the battey light on the dashboard will not light up with the key in the "ON" position. The check engine light is on as it should be. Also a fuse keeps blowing in an unlabeled spot on the fuse box. It is above the fuse puller and raised out further than the rest of the fuses. It is a 10 amp fuse. Any ideas on where to start?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2004, 12:21 PM
    I would start by tracing the unknown fuse. Is it hot all the time, or just with the key on? Note the wire color from it, along with size, and stripe or hash mark. Look in the engine compartment for a similar wire, perhaps as part of the ignition system. Disconnect any connections you find with it. See if a new fuse blows with things disconnected. From there, check places where it could rub on anything and short out. Big pain. You just have to keep poking around until you find the problem. It would be possible the wiring is OK, but the ignition module shorted.
    mikefrancis Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2004, 12:29 PM
    Thanks for the response. I have disconected the altenator from the engine and the fuse still blows. I do know this had just poped a module recently. The wires are larger in diameter than the average wire going into the fuse block. I am having trouble following the wiring diagrams provided by Chiltons. I do know there is roughly 35 amps being pulled from this fuse.

When I replace the fuse and turn the key to the "on" position the battery light comes on for a short monent, about a 1 count, then the fuse blows. When hooking the Multimeter up to the open fuse block and closing the circuit you can hear a click in the dash. So to answer the question, "Is is live all the time," no it is not. Only when the key is in the "on" position is it live.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2004, 08:08 PM
    I lack experience with Hondas, but try to help as much as my general knowledge allows me. I understand older Hondas have some sort of a main relay under the dash that is troublesome. Something is wrong if a 10 amp fuse is drawing 35 amps. How well do you know the history of the car? If it is feeding a large wire, it is possible somebody replaced the fuse with a 10 amp one for lack of what should be there.

I despise Chilton, and Heynes isn't much better. I don't know if
    www.factorymanuals.com carries Honda books or not. If they do, you maybe able to get a real shop manual for what you paid for the Chilton.
    ejonsie25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 12:12 PM
    92 civic battery light
    The battery light on my civic will not turn off, the starter alternator and battery are new, I repalced the main ground on the engine to the body, and replaced the positive connector on the battery and it is still on. When I'm driving at night the dash lights will fade, but not all the way, does anyone have any idea of a problem. Thanks.
    My AIM is ejonsie25.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My civic 95 manual has dead battery? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My car won't start starter doesn't run (dosent emit sound) but no batt light & how do I wire my other batt (an new one from a previous car) to boost it ? If that is the prob all lights are normal every thing is fine except that when I drive it (push started) some gauges freak out a litle &...

Honda civic ex 96 battery [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me where can I get a good and cheap battery for my honda civic Thanks

90 Civic No Crank, No lights, No Radio, new Battery [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Civic that I parked for about two weeks now. The car was running without any problems before I parked it. Yesterday I try to start it up but I got absolutely no power - no radio, no interior lights, no head lights, no horn, no emergency flasher. I then proceeded to attempted a...

93 Civic - Battery Light issue [ 7 Answers ]

My battery light came on (while the car was running) today for the 1st time in over 5 years with my civic. Even with a dead battery, the light never came on while running. If rev the engine to 3000-3500 rpms, the light starts to fade, so I suspect that the alternator is about to go (very soon). ...

91 civic battery question [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, my civic's battery dies all the time. They battery is bran new, and the proble is that when I am driving it, it won't re-charge. Any idea what is wrong with it and how much it will cost to get fixed. One thing is should add- this happened before and then I took it to auto zone and they...

View more questions Search