Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GALTOON Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
    What kind of door can I install for a steam room?
    I am building a steam room in the bathroom. I want the bathroom to be one open room.
    I am tiling the whole bathroom. There is a regular door going out of the bathroom into the hallway. What kind of door and what would the be the best way to seal this door so that the steam will not escape.
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jun 16, 2010, 12:52 PM

Try Google:
    This was the second link that came up searching for "steam room door"

Steam Room Doors for the Steam Room - Cedarbrook Sauna and Steam
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 05:43 AM
    Hi Galtoon...

Lots involved in a steam room... ;)

For example, most steam rooms have a pitched ceiling (1-2" per foot of ceiling is recommended in my area) so that the water that condenses on the ceiling won't drip cool water on the person trying to relax on the bench... that make sense? Obviously, you pitch the ceiling AWAY from the seat/bench... right

You should also be considering installing tile on that pitched ceiling and all the way up the walls for a steam room.

Another issue to consider in a steam room will be installing a vapor barrier at the walls and ceiling to reduce the chances of moisture getting stuck in behind the wall which can create a great place for mold to grow and odors to arise.

Also consider the electrical connections/boxes as these should be protected from moisture as well. There may even be special code requirements here... OK?

Finally, most steam room doors also have a rotating transom door on the top of the shower door to allow you to let steam escape when/if a person becomes uncomforatble in there... very important to balancing the steam if it gets excessive. However, a shower door may not be correct in this application as you are still planning to use this as a BATHROOM, right?... :rolleyes:

Let us know if you'd like to discuss this more...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 18, 2010, 06:06 AM

For a selection of steam room doors click on; steam room doors - Google Search
    Good luck, Tom
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jun 20, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Mass brought up several huge points in his post. A glass door with a transom.

He also brought up a vapor barrier. I'll expand upon that. Whereas a shower only needs to be waterproof, a steam room needs to be vapor proof as well. 15 lb roofing felt or 4 mil plastic behind the cementboard is acceptable waterproofing for a normal shower but in yours you will want to use on of the many surface membranes applied to the cementboard walls, such as Kerdi or NoblesealTS, including to the pan area and ceiling. Noble, makers of Nobleseal, has a great technical bulletin on their site for steamers. Sheet Membranes & Shower Installation Products for Tile & Stone

The joint between the ceiling and the walls in the steamer is an expansion joint, so it does not get taped and filled with thinset. Your surface membrane will wrap the area but there will be no solid fill between them as there would with normal wall finishing using thinset and cement board tape.

While mastic should never be used to set tile in any wet area, it will quickly disolve in a steamer. Whichever membrane you select will determine which setting medium you choose, whenter it's modified or unmodified.

Post back with any more questions. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of thinset or mortar do I need to install Slate tiles? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm wanting to install multi-color Slate in my basement and I'm not sure what adhesive or thinset to use. The floor are concrete of course. Also, do I need to seal it before I grout it so that the grout cleans up better? One more thing. Do I have to anchor the piece that goes down between the tile...

Orange Box Pc "STEAM" can't install error 1327 invalid drive E:\ [ 2 Answers ]

Just a weeks ago I played this Team Fortress 2 with the hard drive of a friend that he connected in my PC :) then some weeks later I decided buying the game "orange box" when I tried to install the game it appeared a error message that says "Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\" HOW DO I FIX THAT? ...

Renting a room to a friend, what kind of lease should I use? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that needs a place to stay for 6 months until they move into a house. I am willing to rent him a room in my house for him & his wife in the meantime. I want us to remain friends, so I told him that we would write down everything ahead of time prior to his moving in so that we all...

Millikin Door Kit needed in order to install storm door [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Milliken (may be mis-spelled) exterior door with two side light panels on both sides. I have purchased a Larson Storm Door for the front door. There is not enough depth between the two doors when measuring them - therefore I need to build the front door frame out. I need to know...

View more questions Search