Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scarlettmarie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 10:15 PM
    No air/ heater not fully turning on
    I'm having some heating issues. The heater isn't fully turning on and no air is flowing from the vents. The heater will kick in half way and then instead of clicking and having air come out the whole thing just shuts off. Prior to the other day everything was working fine and I rent this apartment from a slum lord who won't do anything especially since the building is in foreclosure. Please help! Its February in Wisconsin!
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Its February in WV also
    What kind of heater you talking about? We need more info, like name brand,and model number,, have you checked the breaker? Sometimes a double pole breaker needs to be turned off and back on to assure that both sides are on
    I should ask ,is your heater electric or gas fuel, or oil
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 09:07 AM
    I`m just kidding,, its March here in WV, I guess we are ahead of you

Mar 1, 2012, 09:31 AM
    It's a gas electric combo I think. Not sure about brand or model. I did some investigating and looking into the heater itsself it looks like there's a dead bird caught between a pipe and vent. There is no way to remove the cap to this vent/ pipe combo and there's really nowhere for the carcass to go. I can attach a pic... id really like to know how to,get this damn dead bird out and my heat back on!!
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Does it have metal or plastic? There has to be a way to remove even if its cutting the vent with a saw, remove the bird and coupling vent back together

Mar 1, 2012, 10:49 AM
    Pipe is plastic vent is metal... I thnk I will have to saw the vent off there's no other way in
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 10:57 AM
    If you can get to it(bird) by cutting the plastic that's your best bet,Fish out the bird with a hooked coathanger,, measure the plastic "probably 2 inch maybe 3 inch,, go to hardware and ask for that size PVC coupler and a small amount of PVC glue, you should be ready to go

Mar 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
    Theoretically u think a small girl with no experience is capable of that? It seems easier to get rid of the metal grate... thats where the bird is pushed up against. As a renter id prefer to not cut and glue pipes but I'm seeing no, other option. Thanks so much for yoour help
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 11:30 AM
    Didn`t know you was a small girl, but sure you can, I believe you can do anything you set your mind to,I have a lady HVAC tech that works for me sometimes and will put her up against any of the best
    Build yourself up and go for it.
    Think of the bragging rights you will have

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning Off Water Heater To Economize [ 2 Answers ]

I heard that turning off the water heater overnight can save up to 30% on electric charges. We do that and turn it on for a while later in the day. Supposedly it only takes 15 minutes to heat up prior to using hot water.

My water heater keeps turning off. [ 6 Answers ]

I have to turn it on at least once a day. I have 3 full bathrooms.

Heater not turning on until system is turned off/on [ 18 Answers ]

2nd winter dealing with this issue... 1st time I replaced the thermostat and seems to work fine for a few weeks then problem came back. Now 2nd winter and problem came back after using heater for a few weeks this year. Stat set to 72 but temp displayed will be 68. The only way I can get the...

Turning off Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

How long can I have the water heater off and the water supply to the water heater off? I can't make repairs right away but I have a serious leak in the hot water faucet in the bathtub so I want to cut off the hot water.

Gas heater turning on and off on its own? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment has an old Sears wall-mounted gas heater. It's very simple... just turn the knob to the desired heat setting, or turn it off. Also, I don't think it's thermostat controlled... no matter whether you set it to 2, 5, or 10 on the dial, it just continues heating at that setting (as opposed...

View more questions Search