Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RSF Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Gas heater turning on and off on its own?
    My apartment has an old Sears wall-mounted gas heater. It's very simple... just turn the knob to the desired heat setting, or turn it off. Also, I don't think it's thermostat controlled... no matter whether you set it to 2, 5, or 10 on the dial, it just continues heating at that setting (as opposed to shutting off when it reaches a particular temperature).

The problem is that even when it's off, it sometimes cycles on and off... especially in the morning for some reason. Is there any reason it would do this? All it's doing is raising my gas bill when I don't even want it on. As such, I often end up shutting the entire thing off and turning off the pilot, which is a pain as I then have to go through the hassle of lighting the pilot the next time I want to use it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 05:13 PM
    There should be no reason you have to do this unless the furnace has a minimum safety setting to prevent frozen pipes and such.
    It might also be a defective switch.

I figure you rent since it is a apartment so I would call the landlord for repairs since it is there responsibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Heater pilot keeps turning off [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool water heater that is only about 3 years old. About a year after we installed it, we had to replace the thermal couple (I think that's how you spell it) because the pilot was not staying on. Well, it's happening again. When we notice there is no hot water in the house, we go...

Why is the key not turning? [ 7 Answers ]

I went to leave work today and my ignition key would not turn. Does anyone know why this might be?

Day & Night heater is not turning on [ 1 Answers ]

Our day and night central air and heating unit is not working. Specifically, the pilot light is not working (OR GAS BURNERS); is their a default switch to turn back on the pilot light, or do we use a match?

Need a 220v +4000 heater watt heater [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find a 220v wall mounted or stand heater that pushes more than 4000 heater watts for my parents small home. Ive looked all over. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please! Thank you

TV keeps turning itself off - why? [ 8 Answers ]

I have had my TV for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing? Does anyone have any answers - caby2

View more questions Search