Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llcjames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Garnishment of checking and savings account
    If your bank account is garnished or frozen will a bankruptcy take care of that?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by llcjames
    If your bank account is garnished or frozen will a bankruptcy take care of that?

Depends - bankruptcy will not address child support and most student loans, if either one is the issue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Most likely filing bankruptcy will be too late, since by the time you would get filed, if they have already froze the money they will have it.

Also as noted it will depend on why it was frozen, what the debt is for, many debts can not be discharged at bankrutpcy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking Account Garnishment Law MO. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a single checking account that's is being garnished. 1. No notification that the garnishment was taking place or in affect. 2. My work requires direct deposit. 3. Every dime I make is gone the moment it is deposited. 4. I went to court about a year ago and signed saying I agreed...

Garnishment of Kids Savings Account [ 5 Answers ]

If I have my name/social security number is attached to my children's savings account (which I believe is the only way a saving account can be opened for minors) can the account be garnished and money taken for a court judgement against me. If the state matters to properly answer - Ohio

Checking account garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently surprised by having my checking account garnished because of an old debt that my husband owed. This debt was created before we were married. Do I have any rights in this regard?

Checking account garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

A creditor issued a garnishment on my checking account for $1600.00 on 10/22/07. They deducted $213.00 at that time. Should I close the account? Can they take every deposit I make in that account or are they limited to a certain amount each week, each month? Dibabe

Garnishment of tx checking account [ 1 Answers ]

Can my checking account be garnished by a creditor with a judgement against me?

View more questions Search